• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question for those who have built 14 bolts.

redneckengineered said:
You don't really need an alignment bar to retube and weld on knuckles.

So I shouldn't worry about it? I just figured it needed done to ensure nothing gets bound up and everything runs smooth internally.

When building a 14 bolt I would say that if it is a rear that is 100% needs to be checked with an alignment bar. Rear spindles and spider gear,spool, locker are not forgiving and the splines will wear if not straight.
If it is for a front axle, the u joints or cv take the misalignment between the shafts. It can be done with good machined parts but using a bar is best.

I recently built a full float rear using an alignment bar for the first time, it is very surprising how much things move after welding.
You don't need a cnc bender and notcher to build a chassis...but it helps.

Cut the old tubes out have a machine shop turn the tubes for 0.1000 press fit and u can use an alignment bar but probably not gonna help there just good for welding C's on use cold roll cheap and easy to find I used an old boat shaft and both ends threaded and cone shaped centers ..good luck hope it helps

Re: Re: Question for those who have built 14 bolts.

EddieHall said:
Cut the old tubes out have a machine shop turn the tubes for 0.1000 press fit and u can use an alignment bar but probably not gonna help there just good for welding C's on use cold roll cheap and easy to find I used an old boat shaft and both ends threaded and cone shaped centers ..good luck hope it helps
Maybe .0001?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

EddieHall said:

Yeah good luck with .100. You wouldnt have to weld it. Lol

kmcminn said:
Yeah good luck with .100. You wouldnt have to weld it. Lol

Eddie Hall left us guessing, but if he's talking about millimeters, that would be about right. 0.1mm is just shy of .004" When I took my tubes to the machine shop, I specified .0035" plus/minus .0005" interference fit.

For those having tubes machined, have the first .5" or so tapered to assist in alignment when pressing the tubes in.

We see this a lot in the heavy equipment industy.

I didn't use an alignment bar...

but I did use my Christmas tree stand!! :****:

I fixtured my center section in my tree stand and leveled it. I placed my tubes on dry ice for about thirty minutes and let them get down to about -20F degrees while I heated the center section to close to 400F. That may have been excessive, but I knew the extra 100F temperature difference would buy me a few more seconds of slip fit to ensure I had the tube at full depth as dictated by the hard stop that I built. It couldn't have worked out better. Knowing that the center section was level and that the two cylinders were concentric, was not too concerned about mis-alignment. Additionally, I only plug welded the tubes in place; I did not run a bead around each end of the housing. I can't imagine the heat concentrated in those holes would cause the tube extending beyond the housing ends to warp. I don't have a lathe or fixture big enough to hold my entire housing in order to check run-out, but a string pulled through the middle indicates that I'm pretty darn close to true.

Pic and the tool to install the tubes

Attachments

• 20160419_122510.jpg
    20160419_122510.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • 4121_5046_0.jpg
    4121_5046_0.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 117
Seal housing

Attachments

• 0509161732b.jpg
    0509161732b.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 0508161834.jpg
    0508161834.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 124
  • 20160419_124251.jpg
    20160419_124251.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
EddieHall said:
Sorry screwd up 0.001 didn't proof read,no millimeters,fractional units

The rule of thumb for interference fits, per Machinery's Handbook, is .001" per 1" of diameter. For a 3.5" tube, that equates to .0035" of interference. At least, that's what I followed...

Did you mill the bottom of your housing or did you take the sawzall/grinder approach?

First off we checked to bore size and true it up and the machined the tubes to fit as stated ...milling machine which was a pain the first time now it's a breeze I made some v block/stands ..I'm building a 14 bolt front next weekend to replace the dynstrac 60 front ..the man that taught me has been a machinist for 60 years Atlanta and Pensacola shops ..and .001 press fit is what he recommended and it turns out great .035 is impossible to fit unless u use a hell of a rose bud...just my opinion..I'm no professional machinist just a Simi pro amateur

You did it again.....0001. Not arguing just don't want folks making **** to .1000 thinking it will be an interface or press fit. At .1000 it's a no fit..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk