• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

questions about my upcoming build

all toy straight axles where pretty much the same, but the later they went the better the stock gussets where. Do not be scared of the early years they can e trussed to ba as strong as later years..

FordFrk06 said:
also, if i were to have someone do most of the work for me (SAS and gears, mainly) how much would it cost, approximately?

I think shops will charge about 1000 (8-12 hours@85-90 dollars per hour is what i figured. you can do the sas yourself its very easy as for the gears have Odi(megatoy66) set them up he is very reasonable and does a great job.

Yeah do thw work yourself you will be alot happier with yourself in the end it can be a real confidence booster for some. You got well over 100 people on this forum that are more then willing to lend a word of advice or some even a helping had. Personally i would be more then willing to help you with your truck i mean physically working on it for free i just love getting my hands dirty in a truck.

Well **** buddy there is 3 people right there obviously u have all the opportunities to get your rig done quick and right

FordFrk06 said:
now, an axle question: i heard that the front axle out of an 85 toy is the strongest compared to earlier toyota axles. is this right, or does it matter? the SAS kit i am probably gonna get comes with a part to strengthen the axle, so i dont know if that puts them all on about even ground or what.

I believe 84 and 85 are the same. From the factory, the truss extends farther along the length of the axle than the 83 and older front axles. however, as already mentioned, dont worry about it so much. Its going to take a fair bit abuse to bend any of these axles...
internals are all the same...

Last edited:
angelfly said:
Personally i would be more then willing to help you with your truck i mean physically working on it for free i just love getting my hands dirty in a truck.
lilyota said:
I would be happy to come up and help you it was alot of fun doing mine and would love todo another one
cameron_garrison said:
I would be happy to come up and help you it was alot of fun doing mine and would love todo another one
i would definitely appreciate the help. the reason i might use a shop is that we dont own a welder, and even if we did, i havent ever welded before. also, a pro would get it done much faster than i could. but if everyone wants to help, well then, ****, work party at my house!!! i appreciate the offers, guys, and i might take you up on them.

how much should i expect to pay for an axle? i found one out of an 83 at a wrecking yard, but they want $600 for it, even if i order it thru the shop i work at. i was told that nicks 99 would have one, but that they would probably want an arm, a leg, and half of my left nut for one.

so, here is my parts list so far:

Solid Axle Swap Kit, 3" Springs, $1099, 110001-1-Kit
Classic Rear Lift, 3" Springs, 79-88, $599, 110034-1-Kit
Rock Sliders - 67" 84-88 Xtra-Cab, $140, pair, 120002-1-K
Rock Slider Mounting 6 leg Kit $19, 120007-1-K
3rd, 4.88 Detroit, V6, $1,199, 140036-1-K
total $3056 before tax, and assuming i cant get some kind of shop discount for them.

as for wheels & tires, i am planning on getting 33x10.50x15 BFG/MTs on black rock crawler wheels.

for my front axle, is the pumpkin interchangable front and rear?

Last edited:
FordFrk06 said:
how much should i expect to pay for an axle? i found one out of an 83 at a wrecking yard, but they want $600 for it, even if i order it thru the shop i work at. i was told that nicks 99 would have one, but that they would probably want an arm, a leg, and half of my left nut for one.

$600 is too much. just wait a little bit and keep your eyes peeled in the "swap meet" section on this board, craigslist, etc... and you'll find something. A while ago someone was selling 2 front axles out of the back of his truck. I cant remember how much he wanted for them but they were well under $600.

for my front axle, is the pumpkin interchangable front and rear?
the reason i ask, is i dont know if i need to buy 2 different differentials, or if i should buy a differential for the rear and rebuild the front, or if i should just buy the gears and lockers and rebuild both diffys. i want to know if i can buy 2 of these (3rd, 4.88 Detroit, V6, $1,199, 140036-1-K) and just pop them right in and be done with it.

and i am assuming that the V6 3rd is stronger than the 4cyl 3rd.

go with the 4" kit for the front as well ,get the diffs and be done with it, I just got my 12" drive shaft it is sweet

IM sure Odi (megatoy66) has a front axle for way less than 600

lol, thanks, angelfly, but no thanks. i think i will wait till i break a few OEM toyota housings before i go with D44s
lilyota said:
go with the 4" kit for the front as well ,get the diffs and be done with it, I just got my 12" drive shaft it is sweet

IM sure Odi (megatoy66) has a front axle for way less than 600
so, that 3rd member can be put in either the front or the rear axle?

FordFrk06 said:
lol, thanks, angelfly, but no thanks. i think i will wait till i break a few OEM toyota housings before i go with D44s
so, that 3rd member can be put in either the front or the rear axle?

yes the 8" are the same front and rear

Last edited: