• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ram assist

pokey

just me
Ok, I have been cosidering doing a ram assist during this buildup. after reading this thhough it makes me wonder . Is this a common problem?http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22201 This is a cj-5 with a wrangler spring over (shackle reversal) I will be running 35" x 13.50s. Is it worth the costs and efforts or just overkill. If I do go this route what size and brand of ram should I use. Thanks Jim

I'm not sure exactly what that guy did but it sounds like his setup was done wrong. At any rate, no it's not common.
On mine I used 2"x 8" ram but many use 1.5" x 8". I don't think the brand matters. Just get one that physically fits the space you have to mount it(ie correct ends and fittings).

think about it jim. if a tire is stuck and you torque on the wheel.without a panhard it could blow the leaves apart

Do a search for Redneck Ram, I think they are in TX, and they sell a decent kit, a lot less expensive than the AGR units.

Uh, how? A ram mounted to the axle and tierod isn't going to move the axle side to side relative to the vehicle.

Pokey's inquiring about Ram Assist, not Full Hydraulic. Ram Assist still keeps the steering box. As the steering box is mounted to the frame, as the ram assist pushes the steering knuckle it'll push the axle away from the frame. Since the axle is connected by the springs, it could possibly affect the springs packs.

Pokey's inquiring about Ram Assist, not Full Hydraulic. Ram Assist still keeps the steering box. As the steering box is mounted to the frame, as the ram assist pushes the steering knuckle it'll push the axle away from the frame. Since the axle is connected by the springs, it could possibly affect the springs packs.

But it's no more than a standard power steering setup. The ram doesn't push the axle away just the drag link.

Get yourself a 75 dollar Northern tool ram, and port the box yourself using the West texas Offroad "How To" on their website. Or take your box to Carl Jantz and he will port it, and rebuild it. He is very resonable. www.jantz4x4.com

Jim,
Not that your setup is like mine but I have the ram assist. And I can tell the differance in how the Jeep steered before I had the ram and after. So I would say YES do it.

Now I have no idea about the why or how with this deal of the springs blowing apart.

I'm talking about assist too, every setup I've seen has had the ram on the axle so I don't see how it could place any force against the springs. It doesn't even come into play until the stock steering box can't cut it.

with leaf springs up front a ram assist would be so much easier on your springs. you will no longer be pulling your front end from the frame, you will be pushing and pulling the tie rod from the axle. The smaller area the ram is, the better response time you will have. If you use 2' or bigger, your steering will become sluggish. The ram only comes into effect when there is force on your drag link. Therefore only Assisting when necessary.

I hav to disagree on the NOT common issue. The guys I wheel with, 90% run hydro assist.

Latest posts