• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rci fuel cell cracked

Eddyj

My 2161 fuel cell with motobuilt straps cracked along the top seam. Even though I'm not the original owner rci has a no questions asked double weld policy. You pay for shipping there they repair and pay for shipping back. Which is a good deal and I'm glad to see an Americain company standing behind their work. thumb.gif
However Wayne (I believe was his name) recommended I use the "rockcrawler tank" which is steel with a bladder. He offer to credit me half of the cost toward the new tank.

Has anyone had their 2161 double welded and then have a failure?
Anyone have the "rockcrawler cell"?

9cd938ee93516c8519f77e92adf7afbc.jpg

afca4cf3b0ba6490c60c457aca52d846.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also most of the failure seem to be on the welded seam on the top. So if your building it may be a good ideal to point that seam away from the passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine cracked down the side at Dixie 3 years ago, along with 4 others on the same day in my group. I opted for the rock crawler tank, had to change my mounts but all the plumbing was fine, no more issues. RCI is a stand up company, they replaced or repaired everyone's.

Matt

mcutler said:
Mine cracked down the side at Dixie 3 years ago, along with 4 others on the same day in my group. I opted for the rock crawler tank, had to change my mounts but all the plumbing was fine, no more issues. RCI is a stand up company, they replaced or repaired everyone's.

Matt

Any pics of mount?

Re:

I had one Crack after double welded, got the rock crawler at 1/2 price and haven't had a problem since.
They are awsome company to deal with for shure. I was not the original purchaser of the cell, but they didn't care they wanted to make it right.
I had to setup a different fuel system for the external pump though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Rci fuel cell cracked

Eddyj said:
Any pics of mount?
Buried in my old build thread.

Still had these two on my phone. Original strap went over the top of the cell like most. I cut the top half of the containment off, and let the can bolt directly to the chassis and the back side of original strap. The dimensions of the metal can are the same as the aluminum. But the flange of the steel can necessitates changing the top strapping.

06cecbd6c327b877ca2e1ed813b3efff.jpg

7e34417808fa6518a9fafb5d77bc5910.jpg

Matt

I had two tanks and they both split in the side seam. First one they replaced with new and second they offered to double weld. Instead of having to pay for shipping , I had a buddy go back over all the welds and never had any more problems.

Re:

30th6 said:
I had one Crack after double welded, got the rock crawler at 1/2 price and haven't had a problem since.
They are awsome company to deal with for shure. I was not the original purchaser of the cell, but they didn't care they wanted to make it right.
I had to setup a different fuel system for the external pump though

How was yours mounted?

Re:

With angle iron base, with two straps across the top, I put rubber under the cell and under the straps after double welded and still busted. Mine busted in the same corner weld 3 times.

They will bust no matter how you mount them it is very thin aluminum I and welded on tank 3 times the problem is they don't have a baffle and the fuel sloshes around and flexes the aluminum and eventually stress fractures the welds they really need to make them out of .120 plate or and some baffles but they also didn't really design them to handle the stress we out them to

We drove 12 hours to go the hardline ride at Gray Rock 2 years ago and I filled my tank at the local gas station and realized mine was cracked down the seam on the side. I used some repair kit epoxy stuff from Napa and it held for the weekend. RCI sent me a new one no questions asked. They must not have had the rock crawler tank then.

Great customer service. I sent mine out and I'm not the original owner. They welded it and shipped it back in less than a week!

Does anyone else have the rockcrawler cell? They're pretty nonexistent online. I was getting ready to buy a 2161a soon. I already have the Artec mount but I can modify it for the 2161JD pretty easily it looks like.

zukimaster said:
Summit has them, I have a new one in the box

I saw that summit has it (doesnt show picture). It also says estimated ship date would be April 10th. 2 months from now before it even ships.

Re: Re: Rci fuel cell cracked

CJ87UQ said:
Does anyone else have the rockcrawler cell? They're pretty nonexistent online. I was getting ready to buy a 2161a soon. I already have the Artec mount but I can modify it for the 2161JD pretty easily it looks like.
I'd call rci I had mine in a few days, directly from them