• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ready Welder vs. Millermatic 135

Freeride

I've had a millermatic 135 for a while now which works well for most things I need to weld. Does 3/16" pretty nice, but that's about the limit. I got my dual battery setup in my TJ this weekend, and with a couple switch flips, I have 24 volts. I was planning on just attaching stick leads and going old school. Then I got thinking and looked at the Ready Welder online. I can't really justify spending $350ish just to have wire feed on the Jeep, but is the Ready Welder a viable replacement for the MM135 for garage use? I could sell my MM135 for more than a Ready Welder would cost. I never do hours of welding at a time, so the claimed 30-45 minutes of welding time per charge is fine for me. Advantages of the Ready Welder would be more power, and 100% portable. The downside appears to be that the gun is much larger and unwieldly.

I would not replace tou'r 135 with the ready welder. The ready welders come equiped to do flux core, not solid wire. I know you can get some sort of adapter that alows you to use gas with the ready welder but I'm sure it costs extra. I have used ready welders for trail fixes and they work awsome, whole lota power but you'r stuck with 24 or 12 volts. either no power or lots. Get the ready welder and dont sell the 135 would be my choice.

Yeah, there's an additional cost to run gas/hardwire. I might "stick" with SMAW for a while on the Jeep and eventually upgrade to wire.

Freeride said:
I might "stick" with SMAW for a while on the Jeep

:haha: :haha: Ba-dum-chish, rimshot. Pun of the day, you'r so clever :haha: :haha:

If I had to choose only between the 135 and the RW I would choose the ready welder.

You dont have to just use batteries to power the RW. You can hook it up to a welder and use the power off of that. You can also hook up 36v to the RW and do 1/2". Current is adjustable on it so your not just stuck with the 12 or 24V.

I have never hooked my RW up to gas so I dont know much about that other then it is avail.

welder

i'd just go ahead and buy the RW and readily weld on the trail...., sell your 135 and upgrade at least to the 175 it's a great all around machine.