• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Real world test results with Franks Goop

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
OK well Today I pulled apart the Hub I put together a year ago with Franks Goop.

There was some slight seepage (looks damp) but that was from me. A few weeks ago I attempted to tear the hub apart in my PJ's but then decided to wait for a better day. So I didn't tighten down all the bolts, you can see one is still backed out about a 1/4". Since then I have been on two trips both times the hubs were completely under water.

IMG_20120321_141342.jpg

Ok lets get started.
IMG_20120321_142532.jpg

I broke the bolts loose for the end piece and it started to leak out what looked like used oil.
IMG_20120321_142522.jpg

IMG_20120321_142526.jpg

Popped off the end piece and didn't find any water. The internals actually looked well lubed and clean.
P1090744.jpg

P1090743.jpg

P1090745.jpg

Slid off the center piece.
P1090746.jpg

A look inside at the bearings and lock rings
P1090747.jpg

For some reason there was build up on top of the spindle locks. Kinda like a foamy goop.
P1090748.jpg

Pulled off the lock ring
P1090752.jpg

P1090749.jpg

P1090750.jpg

The bearings
P1090751.jpg

P1090753.jpg

P1090754.jpg

A peak at the race
P1090755.jpg

P1090756.jpg

The spindle
P1090757.jpg

P1090758.jpg

It looks like the spindle leaked a tiny tiny bit past Bobby Longs Poly seal.
P1090763.jpg

Cleaned up it looks fine. I'll just lube it with Synthetic red grease again.
P1090764.jpg

The inner bearing and hub seal. Doesn't look like it leaked.
P1090759.jpg

The outer shaft. The spindle seal was lubed with Red synthetic axle grease. Not much but enough. Some of it mixed with Franks Goop but it all cleaned up really easy.
P1090762.jpg

P1090761.jpg

You can see the lines from the grease channels on Bobbys Poly seal,
P1090765.jpg

So overall,
Franks goop worked just as he said it would. The bearings and seals all were properly lubed. The stuff cleans up really nice but is a PITA to install, maybe not so much on a Toyota axle because you have a fill plug. But trying to put it in a Dana hub is not so easy, do-able but you need a grease pump.

The only thing I could see is it appeared to be broken down. There was an obvious oil liquid separation and then a gel substance.

I hate to say it and I'll be honest but I'm going to run it in both hubs this time when I put everything back together. I don't see a problem running his stuff. I don't think it would leak out past the wiper seal on a Toyota spindle either. It'll look damp but I don't think it'll leak.

So there you go make your own decision, but this was some real world testing that went on over a dozen runs this past year. Submerged under water over a dozen times or more, ran through mud, playing on the rocks over a dozen times, and ran at high speeds in all temperatures typical to the PNW.

~Joop

You obviously weren't running the wipers on the stub axle...all that dirt/crap near Bobby's spindle bushing tells the story...

Last edited:
Last edited:
When I got my bushings from Longfield it said there is no need to use the rubber seals any more.I will double check the instructions again though because I haven't torn into my front end yet.

Nah last time it ran me about 160 bucks. Same pieces

Sent by that electronic thing we call a phone...

....Ummm, yeah, there is...But it's not the hub...
002%20(4)%20(1)%20300x225.jpg

Taken from WFO Concept's site......
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...q6iIBQ&usg=AFQjCNEDxa9WF1yai8jZh1SWE7F81KEFGQ
The largest rubber seal is the wiper seal....slips over a shoulder on the stub, and rubs that flat machined surface around the spindle bushing (The area that's covered in mud/dirt in your pics...

Yes you need to run the big rubber seal like this one in the pic. here. You need to try to get the stub shaft tight up against the spindle by shimming the outer snap rings on the stub shaft. I would not use that goop i would use grease like it calls for. If you ever have any questions you can call me anytime 253-847-8254 Bobby.

Yes you need to run the big rubber seal like this one in the pic. here. You need to try to get the stub shaft tight up against the spindle by shimming the outer snap rings on the stub shaft. I would not use that goop i would use grease like it calls for. If you ever have any questions you can call me anytime 253-847-8254 Bobby.

Don't forget the slinger also, I did not see one in the pic.

The slinger would be the plastic disc in the pic I posted earlier, I suppose you could run that against Bobby's bushing, no?

I would not run the plastic bushing, I would use the bearing and seal like it calls for,

::stirpot:

If you have any questions you can call me anytime 208-687-8515

Frank

I wonder if Tranny is the type of guy that goes insane over prank phone calls? :haha:

If battling with brainwashed online wheeling dipshits didn't,,

I don't imagine prank phone calls will,,

:cheer:

Fancis is lonely, he'd like the attention. Prefers males, deep breathing appreciated. His goop may work, we know grease works, people with bad seals know 90w works. Wow frank, you really changed the wheeling world.

The slinger would be the plastic disc in the pic I posted earlier, I suppose you could run that against Bobby's bushing, no?

Kev I was talking about the metal slinger that presses on up against the yoke and then run just the wiper seal and from what I see that is all you need.