• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rear Chevy D60 in XJ?

Chrawler

Hey Guys,

I was hoping you would be able to help me out getting some quick information. I found a great deal on Craigslist for a rear Dana 60 being sold for about $40. Here is the info I was given: it came out of a 69 Chevy, it has 4.10

Unless you were already planning on upgrading from stock shafts to aftermarket ones, just find a complete rearend and save yourself the headache.

You can get lower gears for a D60/D70 rear than you can for a 14 bolt.

so... you are talking about a 1969 chevy 60 rear and no front, right? I would pass that like a geo on the freeway. Small ends, only 30 spline, full width, probably has some funny parts in it, will need brakes, bearings through it.

PM Moto261. IIRC he still has a 35 spline rear 60 that i helped narrow down to 61" WMS. perfect for a cherokee. I have its twin in my cherokee. matches my narrowed front quite well.

Fullwidth in washington is pointless IMO unless you have a buggy, and you can hump trees to get through the trails. Walker valley comes to mind. :haha: trees are too narrow there for a full width axle. gotta climb trees like 5 feet up to fit through.

What are your build plans for this thing? What front axle? PM me or respond in here. I think i can help you out, i have put a couple of these junkers together :;

Unless you were already planning on upgrading from stock shafts to aftermarket ones, just find a complete rearend and save yourself the headache.

You can get lower gears for a D60/D70 rear than you can for a 14 bolt.

I was planning on upgrading the shafts. I was looking into the new RCV shafts that use a CV joint instead of U-Joint. Thanks for the info of the gears I actually did not know that.

It will work, ya just gotta move the spring perches. The nice thing about a 60 over a 14 bolt is that with a 60, you have a lot more diff clearence, that said, a detriot for a 14 bolt is a lot cheaper, and the 14 bolt is also a lot beefier, but with the beefyness, comes weight.

Does it have the hubs,brakes,etc? or is it just the housing?

Also, I wonder if it did come out of a chev truck. Usually, i thought those era of trucks had the Eaton rear end. What lug pattern is it?

If anything, you can resell it an gain your money back, if not some more.:cool:

The spring perch's is not a big deal since I am going to be running air shocks, but I would definately like to have a little more ground clearance, and I didnt want to have to shave a 14 Bolt. It doesnt have brakes, but I was going to run discs in the back anyways so no biggie. As for Lug pattern, Im not sure and it slipped my mind until you mentioned it, thanks I will be sure to ask. Also Im not quite sure about hubs. I was going to inspect it a little if I go and check it out, but I just was curious if it is a possible fit. Your right though I can always sell it and get my money back. He might just be bs'ing about it coming out of a chevy, he probably has no clue. I bet he bought it and thats what he was told and now he is stuck with it.

a reason you see ford d60s over chevy d60s is the front and rear axle commonly come out of the same truck, and the ford d60 is driver side drop, same as the stock cherokee

pass on the axle. you can commonly find d60 rear for 100 to 200 dollars, then your going to have to make th front compatible to size and gears. wait and buy a set of axles, it will save you alot of hassle

i didnt think Chevy had a 60 front in 1969. ??? I would imagine it is CLosed knuckle if it is indeed from a 69, and a claimed front.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I should have been more clear the first time. I am swapping in both front and rear D60's. The Front will be out of a Ford because it is a driver side drop (as mentioned above), and I was going to get a matching rear out of a ford I just figured if the Rear Dana 60's are all similar I could just get this one now due to the very low cost. I will be rebuilding both axles once I have them so the parts were not a huge concern. The cherokee is going to be a full buggy with airshocks front and rear, double triangulated 4 link front and rear, full hydraulic steering, 40's or 42's, and possibly H1's. I have a 4.0L and am planning on running a flipped Dana 300. I originally did not plan on narrowing the axles, but I am starting to think I will want them narrowed from what MarcW mentioned above. I realize now that full width's might be a little more challenging to keep on tight trails, which we have so much of in WA. With that being said I will probably narrow the axles somewhat, Im not sure exaxtly where I want the WMS at yet. Wide axles do look sick, but may not be practical at this point. I know its frowned upon to build a unibody buggy, but at this point I have a great cherokee with awesome unibody/drivetrain but the interior and some body panels are very moldy corroded and rusted, plus I wanted to stay true to my XJ. It will be a :flipoff: to the guys who dont like unibody buggies.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I should have been more clear the first time. I am swapping in both front and rear D60's. The Front will be out of a Ford because it is a driver side drop (as mentioned above), and I was going to get a matching rear out of a ford I just figured if the Rear Dana 60's are all similar I could just get this one now due to the very low cost. I will be rebuilding both axles once I have them so the parts were not a huge concern. The cherokee is going to be a full buggy with airshocks front and rear, double triangulated 4 link front and rear, full hydraulic steering, 40's or 42's, and possibly H1's. I have a 4.0L and am planning on running a flipped Dana 300. I originally did not plan on narrowing the axles, but I am starting to think I will want them narrowed from what MarcW mentioned above. I realize now that full width's might be a little more challenging to keep on tight trails, which we have so much of in WA. With that being said I will probably narrow the axles somewhat, Im not sure exaxtly where I want the WMS at yet. Wide axles do look sick, but may not be practical at this point. I know its frowned upon to build a unibody buggy, but at this point I have a great cherokee with awesome unibody/drivetrain but the interior and some body panels are very moldy corroded and rusted, plus I wanted to stay true to my XJ. It will be a :flipoff: to the guys who dont like unibody buggies.

scanned thru the original post... to each thier own. post pics of the build, will be interesting:awesomework:

It is a 30 spline with 410 gears and a 13 50 yolk the year and ratio is stamped on it me and crazy daze just popped the cover off last night.

I was planning on upgrading the shafts. I was looking into the new RCV shafts that use a CV joint instead of U-Joint. Thanks for the info of the gears I actually did not know that.

What the **** are we talking about here????

Your post said "Rear Chevy D60 In XJ"... so I am assuming your talking about a REAR axle... and you said it had no axle shafts in it... but your gonna upgrade them to RCV shafts w/ a CV? This sure makes it sound like your talking about a front axle...????

Oh, and a Cherokee will NEVER be a "buggy". The closest you will get is to build a BUGGY, and put Cherokee skins and emblems on it...

What the **** are we talking about here????

Your post said "Rear Chevy D60 In XJ"... so I am assuming your talking about a REAR axle... and you said it had no axle shafts in it... but your gonna upgrade them to RCV shafts w/ a CV? This sure makes it sound like your talking about a front axle...????

you are right. Sorry. I got a little lost myself. We are talking about the rear axle, and the shafts I mentioned are for a front axle. My bad. But point being I am going to upgrade the shafts. Sorry for the confusion.

:fawkdancesmiley:
Your not building a buggy Marc:beer:

:fawkdancesmiley:

Oh, and a Cherokee will NEVER be a "buggy". The closest you will get is to build a BUGGY, and put Cherokee skins and emblems on it...

One HUGE glaring difference though... A buggy isn't built out of pieces of 22 gauge sheetmetal laminated loosely together. :flipoff:

I knew this would cause some controversy! It will be my version of a buggy. :stirpot: Or maybe I should have just said Juggy since it will remain part Jeep and not a full on chassis. But if it does end up failing at some point, Live and Learn.

Latest posts