Spooled 9" (rear offset a bunch!)
2" WE air shocks
39" Krawlers
4 links front and rear
Rad. way in the back.
113" wheel base
right at 3000 LBS IIRC

What else do you want to know?

Im loving my rear engine setup. Like the others have said its a completely different strategy.

As for "these buggies hate ledges"- yeah ledges aren't its strong point but most of the time i can figure out a line to make it. Only time i don't make it happens is when the breakover is real extreme, maybe water would help with that but im not gonna run water.

The heel of my buggy is the low, wide belly and thats what stops it from going. On certain ledges there just isn't a way to keep it off the ground, with the transaxle there just weren't many options to make the belly smaller but there's no danger in letting it drag so just keep trying until your patience runs out.

Im no hill killer but I owned the rear engine supercharged Buggy Matt elder built. Crazy built 9" in the rear, built Yota axle in front, huge balloon tractor tires in the rear. Probably one of my favorite buggies I have ever owned and will own another rear engine in the future. It is a different driving style, momentum is your friend. Easily get your front tires on about any ledge then bump the rear up. Easy to see out of.

Re: Re: rear engine rigs in the SE

Blase said:
I was lucky enough to pilot this rig a couple of times. No water in the front tires. No bouncing just trail riding / crawling. It worked excellent! You had to drive it different than a front engine buggy but once you learned that you can't just force feed the back tires whatever they run into it wheeled better than my front engine buggy. I found the placement of the rear tires was far more critical than the front!

It took some extra thinking to make the rear tires land where you wanted them to without rear steer but once you got the hang of it there was no stopping this little buggy!

987K%20002_zps68tocelq.jpg

C4
atlas
9" f&R with spools
The rest you can pretty much see.

Lots more pictures here.
http://s479.photobucket.com/user/Blase_60/library/987K?sort=3&page=1
This buggy come from out west?

Top 3 in both east coast WE Rock events this year have been rear engine.

sap said:
Top 3 in both east coast WE Rock events this year have been rear engine.

Just looked it up. Looks like you were 3rd in both, good job. I guess that was in the red buggy? (The blue buggy is front engine, right?)

patooyee said:
Just looked it up. Looks like you were 3rd in both, good job. I guess that was in the red buggy? (The blue buggy is front engine, right?)
Yes.

Rusty's buggy is a blast to drive, I can't really compare it to anything other than a buch of Toyota stuff. The main thing that I'm still not used to is not having the engine and all the other stuff in front of me. I do like the lack of exhaust heat and noise since it is all out back. The main safety thing like Rusty says is you can't see if it catches on fire. I wouldn't have a problem owning a rear engine setup.