• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rear radiator questions..

zjtrey

a lot of buggys are being built with the radiator right behind/between the seats.. seems to me that the fan noise would be really annoying for trail riding.. also seems like a stock LS water pump might have trouble keeping the coolant flowing.

you guys with this type setup is the fan noise a problem? are you having to run an inline water pump or is a stock pump enough?

I'm starting to collect materials to start a new chassis and mulling over ideas.. seems like a great way to keep the rig compact and maximize up travel but for a trail rig i'd keep the rad up front if the noise is an issue..

stock water pump will be fine, noise isn't too bad (i've got mine mounted down low), i'd say it would really depend on the exhaust system you go with.

I've always wondered how bad it sucks to have them mounted right behind the seat? Some of the buggies look like the seat almost touches the rad.

Stock water pump is fine. On 38 Special, the fan is real quiet, as it is blocked from the top and pulls and ejects the air from underneath. On the Solo Buggy, the fan is loud. To the point that I have to cut the buggy off to talk to someone sitting beside me. Same fan as was in the single Seater in the front under a hood, and noise was not an issue. No big deal to me when riding, as there is no one in the buggy to talk to!

It is a little annoying. My fans are running if the motor is running. I was thinking about installing an adjustable thermostatic switch so that once it cools down to 200 degrees or so they shut off but that's just one more thing to fail so I just deal with the noise. Stock pump cools it just fine.

Something on a side note, I have noticed most factory installed fans on cars, trucks, seem to be alot quieter than a aftermarket fan and most of the time cool alot better, i got a set up off a PT Crusier im goin to use, small, compact, and flows lots of air and can barley here it run.

The fans are controlled by the ECM on my buggy. They are loud enough that you can't hear the spotter talking to you. They are acceptable for me because they don't run that much.

thanks for the thoughts… so John and Sawzall- what fans are you running that are pretty loud? Most likely i'll be running a taurus fan..

Re: Re: Re: rear radiator questions..

Sawzall said:
Mine are dual Spal fans that come with the Griffin radiator combo kit.

same here and they are not bothersome to me at all!!

now the one chamber flowmasters dumped through the boatsides, that covers up alot of other noises!!

scared to death!!!!!

In WFO I can't even hear the fans running. The radiator is mounted behind the seats with a firewall between.

In 4429 the radiator is mounted high behind the seats and it's LOUD when both fans are running. I have them on a toggle so I can turn them off to hear someone talk from outside. It's not so loud it prevents talking to whoever is in the buggy. A nice bonus is reversing the fans for a great heater!

How many of u guys have teouble keeping them cool?? I ask because it seams at most hill climb events the rigs are running hot befoe they ever make it up rhe first hill.

Granted these rigs are crazy HP but so are your u4/koh rigs, and they run for hours and stay cool!

xjpaddler said:
How many of u guys have teouble keeping them cool?? I ask because it seams at most hill climb events the rigs are running hot befoe they ever make it up rhe first hill.

Granted these rigs are crazy HP but so are your u4/koh rigs, and they run for hours and stay cool!

ultra 4 and KOH dont sit and idle around :flipoff1: