• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rebuild my Warn M8000?

gasman1

My winch took a **** in my last weekend pulling some dumb asses out of te snow up in the Nile last weekend.

What does it cost to it completely rebuilt?

I do not think it's just the silanoids, i think its a combo of things , I do not know the age of it but i got it from a friend 3 years ago and he got it used 2 years prior to that.

Funds are tight, so i was looking at the Smitty Built 8000lb winch. Its pretty inexpensive (half the price of a Warn). I have not heard any thing negative about them except, "It's not a Warn", and they stand by there product (thats what i have heard).

Any input would be helpfull.

Pete

Pull the motor off and check it for water intrusion. Then look at the brushes and if they are low, you may need new ones.

Solenoids are cheap, just check them out.

Last time my winch took a dump on me, it turned out to be a shitty connection at the battery. I thought 100% that it was the winch because the battery connection LOOKED good. But when tested with a meter, it was not.

You can likely go thru your Warn for less money than a new smitty Built costs, and you will be happier in the end Pete....Don't get me wrong, Smitty's are not a bad winch---it's just the Warn is faster.

If you're a do-it-your-selfer check the battery connections then take it apart and clean it real well. Nine times out of ten if this isn't the problem it's going to be solenoids or the motor. We are the local Warn authorized repair shop and would be happy to help if you don't want to do it yourself. I would take a rebuilt warn over a new smittybuilt any day of the wk. There is a good reason the warn is over 800 and the smitty is only 300.

TC's Off Road
253-852-2720

It sounds like it's junk...:booo:

Go buy a new winch...:awesomework:

BTW, I haul off dead winches if you need my services...:redneck:

Pete,
I'm heading down to Warn at the end of the month. IF you want, I can drop it off at the repair facility for you, and bring it back with home with me afterwards.
Repairing what you have will be cheaper than buying a crappy new winch.
Tony

Pete,
I'm heading down to Warn at the end of the month. IF you want, I can drop it off at the repair facility for you, and bring it back with home with me afterwards.
Tony

From what I have heard, when they rebuild they would rebuild it to the brand new specifications of a M8000 today... If your winch was a 5 year old M8000, having them rebuild it would basically give you a brand new M8000....

Aint cheap, but it might be worth it to you...

Pete,
Tony

Tony,
Do you happen to know the price on a complete rebuild?

(I need to find there phone #)

I have checked all the connections, and have tested the leads for power. Power is not getting through. and i believe one of the contacs on the wnch is bad on the inside.

like has been said a few times check all your connections first.

Yes. First check the voltage at all three terminals of the motor. Should be battery voltage when the thing is engaged.

If not, you likely have a bad solenoid, they're very popular to die before the motor, unless it's been submerged.

Ford starter solenoids are often $15 or less each.

My winch took a **** in my last weekend pulling some dumb asses out of te snow up in the Nile last weekend.

What does it cost to it completely rebuilt?

I do not think it's just the silanoids, i think its a combo of things , I do not know the age of it but i got it from a friend 3 years ago and he got it used 2 years prior to that.

Funds are tight, so i was looking at the Smitty Built 8000lb winch. Its pretty inexpensive (half the price of a Warn). I have not heard any thing negative about them except, "It's not a Warn", and they stand by there product (thats what i have heard).

Any input would be helpfull.

Pete
thread jack:

what vehicles were these said dumbasses in?
:corn:

Yes. First check the voltage at all three terminals of the motor. Should be battery voltage when the thing is engaged.

If not, you likely have a bad solenoid, they're very popular to die before the motor, unless it's been submerged.

Ford starter solenoids are often $15 or less each.
um yeh..those wont work. you need continuous duty noids.

Last edited:
One was a PT Cruiser and the other a Older ford diesel with bald tires.

They were up there partying for the weekend an dgot the bright idea to drive around in the snow at 2am :looser:

We were all there at one time, well most of us were young and dumb.:beer:

One was a PT Cruiser and the other a Older ford diesel with bald tires.

They were up there partying for the weekend an dgot the bright idea to drive around in the snow at 2am :looser:

We were all there at one time, well most of us were young and dumb.:beer:
i was asking...b/c i had to go pull my dumbass brother out last saturday..up in the nile also. :haha:

i was asking...b/c i had to go pull my dumbass brother out last saturday..up in the nile also. :haha:

Yeah, i talked to him, he was heading up to the 1603 to call you. He got another truck stuck the night before and the guys i helped, helped him..

What a small word.

Yeah, i talked to him, he was heading up to the 1603 to call you. He got another truck stuck the night before and the guys i helped, helped him..

What a small word.
:awesomework: yeh..really small world. and...i found out trying to pull him out...that MY winch doesnt work anymore... the noids are bad also:haha:

Just to give you an idea of the price the last motor I bought for my 9000 from Warn was $253...and it's time for another one :redneck:

The biggest issue with the winches that I have found is that the ground connection gets dirty and builds up too much resistance. Clean it and apply a little dialectric grease.