• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Recommended muffler for 22RE

PaulSac

So I have a 22re in my 4runner with a header and I think 2 1/2" exhaust with a 40 series Flowmaster. In other words it sounds like the rest of the Toyotas on any trail or the ricer Hondas on the street. When I let of the gas it just releases the back pressure in a series of farts. Of course I can barely hear the person next to me let alone the radio. I need to keep a semi flat/oval muffler that can fit up tight. Anyone use something other than a Flowmaster that actually sounds good but not too loud. I guess I would prefer quiet over sounding good.

Try finding a universal one from an auto parts store by dimensions in a catalog. Or try having a glasspack installed after the muffler to quiet it down some more.

I have these knock off magna flows that would be just what your looking for. Quiet it right down but still have some tone.

On NickC's 4runner we did 2.25'' pipe, no cat and an Imco Turbo Muffler. Has a nice tone to it. Little louder than stock. Perfect on the trail

I've got a flowmaster on 2 of my trucks both have a header and 2 1/4" pipe. One is nice and mellow not raspy at all but it's a 50 series and the exhaust goes out the side at the rear of the bed. The other is a 40 series that comes out through the lower part of the bed in front of the drivers side rear tire. It's raspy as all **** but I've got a glasspack to cut down to mellow it out behind the flowmaster.

What you're looking for is either to put a long glasspack behind the current muffler or to replace the flowmaster with a standard turbo muffler. I put a turbo style muffler on my wifes 94 runner with a 22re and ran the 2 1/4" pipe out the back corner basically in the stock spot. It's smooth and mellow, you can't rod on it hard enough to make it annoying.

What Gavin said, the knock off muffler he hooked me up with is great for the trail. In the cab I don't hear it unless I'm doing a 5k clutch drop, and then it sounds good.

Ive seen a tend of putting stock street bike exhaust on a toyota.

I dont know if it has to do with the amount of owners that have a liter bike and a leftover stock muffler.

Ive done a couple and they sound good and very quiet. Most are very light too.

I have these knock off magna flows that would be just what your looking for. Quiet it right down but still have some tone.

On NickC's 4runner we did 2.25'' pipe, no cat and an Imco Turbo Muffler. Has a nice tone to it. Little louder than stock. Perfect on the trail

I'm running an Imco Turbo on the weedeater (Sami) :redneck: as well...Good muffler for reasonable $...

I've got a flowmaster on 2 of my trucks both have a header and 2 1/4" pipe. One is nice and mellow not raspy at all but it's a 50 series and the exhaust goes out the side at the rear of the bed. The other is a 40 series that comes out through the lower part of the bed in front of the drivers side rear tire. It's raspy as all **** but I've got a glasspack to cut down to mellow it out behind the flowmaster.

What you're looking for is either to put a long glasspack behind the current muffler or to replace the flowmaster with a standard turbo muffler. I put a turbo style muffler on my wifes 94 runner with a 22re and ran the 2 1/4" pipe out the back corner basically in the stock spot. It's smooth and mellow, you can't rod on it hard enough to make it annoying.

You can put it in front of or behind, I noticed it quieted a bit better with the pac in front of the Flow when I ran a flow under it...but that was the Sami...****, it has all of 5 feet of exhaust as it is! :haha:

You can put it in front of or behind, I noticed it quieted a bit better with the pac in front of the Flow when I ran a flow under it...but that was the Sami...****, it has all of 5 feet of exhaust as it is! :haha:

I might have 5' of pipe total but I doubt it's that much and if it is there sure as hell ain't a place to put the pack ahead of the flowdisaster. :redneck:

Header comes down inside the torsion bar so I had to make a piece out of a mandrel bend to go over and outside the bar. The flowdisaster barely fits between the crossmembers.

20131129_210035_zpsfa80eaeb.jpg

I'm going to put the glasspack in that section with the sticker on it. It might be 8" long if its that.

20131129_210049_zps2527330b.jpg

And of course it has to come out somewhere right? :cheer:

20131129_210103_zpsd1bc9893.jpg

My DD '85 XtraCab has an LC Engineering cat back exhaust and it's not too loud and sounds pretty good.

He'll yea it is. :redneck: The hole in the bed was already there so I figured I'd put it to good use. Also noteworthy are the jcpenney scat trac bias tires mounted on the back. So much fun with a welded rear end, drifts for days! :haha:

What is the brand of the knock offs and where did you get them?

Just grabbed a magnaflo from Oreillys for $85. Quieter but still not as quiet as I would have liked but I didn't want to go stock and restrict the huge power roaring from the beast.