• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

remind me how this goes

spidertoy

Mod dude....
if your alternator craps out, and takes the battery with it, the combo of no input voltage from the alternator, and none from the battery kills the starter right?

I've never heard of that either. :wtf:

Your starter won't work. Because there is not enough voltage from the battery. But it won't fry the starter.

Simultaneous failure of all three components is much more likely.

the reason that I am asking is that my truck wont start now that I have changed the alternator, and put in a new battery, like there is NO click when I turn the key to start, and nothing happens, it will compression start, and run, but no self start

Better get out your test light... Start by finding out if there is voltage to the starter solenoid and go from there. Not sure if there is a fuse in that circuit, or a fuse link, or what.

depending on the year there is no fuseable link to the starter.
make sure you didnt rip out the little wire to the starter when you were changing the batt

Toyoda said:
I would check the fusible link or the wires going to the ignition switch. Never in all my years heard of a battery or alternator take out a starter.

now if your aim was just right with that alternator, i could almost see it...

I would check the fusible link or the wires going to the ignition switch. Never in all my years heard of a battery or alternator take out a starter.

okay looked today with multimeter, and have power to starter, but not when turning the key, checked the box on the right side of the engine bay, and there is an 80amp relay? that is blown, would that cause the non power to the solenoid? and would schucks have that relay?

spidertoy said:
okay looked today with multimeter, and have power to starter, but not when turning the key, checked the box on the right side of the engine bay, and there is an 80amp relay? that is blown, would that cause the non power to the solenoid? and would schucks have that relay?
No power, yes
Shucks, probably,
Reason it blew, probably related to taking that alternator out, and shorted something or another, and blew the relay.
Another reason could also be that you've crossed a wire when reinstalling everything, but I doubt it.
Put the new relay in, and see how it goes.

of course, I'm just guessing.

twas the fusible link, changed that and starts no problem, alternator is charging, but the charge/battery light is still on in the dash:confused: also the brake light even though the fluid level is good, and the parking brake is NOT engaged, so there is still some sort of electrical gremlin in there somewhere, but at least now I can go to work:redneck: