• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Removable Doors for Toyota

trailyota

So I got tired of unbolting and bolting my doors on my 1st gen every time the weather changed. In the snow the heat is GREAT, but in the summer my rig will cook you out! Since I'm planning on adding tube doors, with the option of full doors I made some quick latches. This option costs a whopping $25, with all the parts at the local ACE Store.

Parts listed as follows:

1). (4)- 5/16 clevis pins and clips. 2 inch universal at a minimum, but if you find some 2.5 inchers they are the ticket. The 3 inch ones are a bit too long to fit between the door and the jamb.

2) (8) 8mm x 1.25 x 25mm hex bolts. I tried both the round and flat head types. The round head worked the best since the flat one has a taper that won't allow your hinges to line up to the door correctly, with much adjustment.

3) Grinder

4) Good set of punches

5) Permanent marker.

This should take less than an hour to finish, unless you take the hinges all the way off; I suggest you don't take the hinges completely off since it's a pain to get the door back into alignment.

1) Leave your hinges on your truck and trace the door side hinge with the permanent marker. This helps in aligning your doors back up to the correct location the first time.

2) Unbolt the door side of the hinge only.

3) With the hinge on the truck grind off one or both sides of the hinge-pin head.

4) Use a punch to knock the hinge-pin out.

5) (TEST FIT) Leave the bronze bushings inside the hinge and test fit the door side hinge and the body side hinge using your new clevis pin. This will let you know if you bent the hinge while knocking the old pin out, or need to close some of the gap before you put it all together.

6) Using the hex bolts, fasten the door side hinge onto your door. The reason you use hex bolts is because the 12mm bolts don't leave enough room to slide the clevis pin-head out.

7) (TOP)-slide the clevis pin from the bottom to the top, then pin it.
(Bottom)-slide the clevis pin from the top to the bottom, then pin it.

8) Check to ensure your doors line up, and you

Last edited:
More photos

Well here's how it looks with the door closed. My comp. won't let me upload the photo of the hinge with the pin on the truck...POS! My rig isn't show-piece by any means, but the door doesn't rattle with a loose hinge and it's a tight fit. Hope this saves some of you some $$$ and creates some convenience. :beer:

Last edited:
Nice writeup but slotting the top hole in the hinge and just loosening the bolt and sliding the door off is free and takes about 20 minutes to do both sides....

ill be doing this as well. thanks for the tech on this techless forum!:awesomework: :beer: :beer: :beer:

No problem, for some reason I couldn't post this in the how-to section because I dont have access/privileges to post there.

Latest posts