• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rent a tow rig?

mad chemist

Going down to Cruise Moab in April, and debating between a pounding ride all the way down in my fj40 or another option.

Do you guys know of any rental places that will rent a 3/4 ton pickup, that'll let me drive out of state and back? Probably a pipedream.:booo:

Cheers,

David

According to U-Haul, their pickups are for in-town use only.

According to Ryder, they only rent vans.

And it looks like Enterprise only has 1/2 tons if I read their website correctly, same with Hertz and Thrifty. Avis doesn't mention which series of Silverado they use.

Vans instead of trucks might be the way to go... Budget shows an E350 Van that should work. You could crash in the back of it instead of staying at any hotels for the trip too.

However... at the prices they charge you would be better off just BUYING a tow rig, and selling it when you get back :corn:

Going down to Cruise Moab in April, and debating between a pounding ride all the way down in my fj40 or another option.

Do you guys know of any rental places that will rent a 3/4 ton pickup, that'll let me drive out of state and back? Probably a pipedream.:booo:

Cheers,

David

You could always just let some air outa the tires to smooth out the ride.

Even if you find a company with a truck or van that you could take out of state, I'm pretty sure NONE of them come with hitches, or brake controllers and aren't meant to be towed with.

I just looked into renting a truck and camper for KOH , it was 1800 Canadian
. the killer was mileage $1000 for the 3500 km
It is a pimping duramax duelly with a slide out camper

RCE equment has truck you can tow with we leave the state with them all the time we have a 06 f350 powerstroke 4x4 nice truck dont have any idea what it costs to use it but its nice.

The drive down wouldn't be horrible in the '40, just not that comfortable. Plus with possibility of breakage, it'd be nice to have another way home.

I thought about buying a tow rig just for the trip, and sell on the way back. However, for what I could afford it there'd be a risk the tow rig might break on the way down.

I'll check with Enterprise, and do you guys have a link for RCE Equipment.

David

I picked a car up in iowa and loaded it on a penske trailer and had rented the smallest thing they had (single rear wheel box van) That thing had no governor and with my pre planned air mattress I had a rolling hotel room..