• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Renton Gear install

supsa

Any one near Renton that could help? I just need help setting the gears. Its a XJ hp d30 4.56. It will be stripped down and ready to go. Only thing that I haven't done myself. This is the only thing holding me back from hitting up the trails again. Thanks

Dave.

Dunno where the DOL is, but I know 900 down to the Central Welding. Do you have tools? dial indicator, torque wrenches, case spreader, etc? Cause I do all my setup work by hand and reading the pattern so if you're not comfortable with that you'll need all the tools.

Right around the corner from central. I don't have any of those tools and If ya dont need them I'm ok with that. Have you had any fail?

Not yet. :redneck: But I'm working on a trail rig that only sees max of 25 - 30 mph for short bursts of time on the FS roads to get to/between trail heads. If it makes you feel any better, I learned the feel on the Dana 30 with tools...

So, besides basic hand tools you'll need at least, a foot pound torque wrench, a hand sledge, a (preferably) brass punch, a good solid piece of 2x4 or 4x4 about 10 - 12 inches long, pry bar, loctite, gear set, bearings, races, shims or at least two crush sleeves if it's using a crush sleeve (which I don't think that one is,) gear marking compound, seal(s) (a good time to replace the axle seals on the 30,) and plenty of patience/time (2-6 hours depending.) Air tools a plus!

When you get bearings, get four carrier bearings with the same lot number. You'll wallow out two of them to use in the setup process that can be removed easily without a bearing puller.

When I say, "by hand" I mean pinion bearing preload and backlash. So, again, if you're comfortable with it, you won't need an inch pound torque wrench.

Latest posts