• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired Rockwell 3rd member

BootyFab

looking for a good rockwell 3rd member, or might take a whole axle if the price was right.

Brandon, have you checked with Paige to see if he has one?

bigsilly said:
Brandon, have you checked with Paige to see if he has one?

I checked with him about a year ago when i first fawked this one up, i can't remember, either he didn't have one or wanted more than i was prepared to spend. For some reason every time i find one close to here people want like 400 for a rear. There is a rear for sale in cali on pirate for 150 but shipping would be a deal killer. I can't figure out why it is so hard to find when the damn trucks came with 2 rear axles to begin with, people should be damn near giving them away i would have thought. If i don't find something cheap i'll continue to run it as is, it works but who knows for how long. Im planning on tearing into the axles a little over christmas break to fix some leaks and thought it would be a good time to drop in a new chunk.

what specifically is wrong with it? i just sold my spare for a 12 pack and $20. I have the guys old one that he broke the ring gear on. I have most of the parts that are still good in it so if you need something specific, I can make that happen for cheap.

blacksheep10 said:
what specifically is wrong with it? i just sold my spare for a 12 pack and $20. I have the guys old one that he broke the ring gear on. I have most of the parts that are still good in it so if you need something specific, I can make that happen for cheap.

Ran it out of oil and it locked up running down the road. Anyways it still works but ive looked through the inspection plates, gears look fine, bearing cages seem kinda rough though. i suppose if you want to sell yours i could just throw my gears in it. is it just the ring that is bad or the others too?

on a side note, i have a spare out in the yard that got flodded in katrina, and has now been sitting out in the yard for a few years. I'm tempted to try and clean it up but not sure its worth it, as the bearings are probably trash? any opinions

depends on if it stayed full of water. oooh, salt water, prob not good. doesn't cost anything to look.
Na, mine is stripped the **** down now. Nothing left of it but piles of parts. and by ring gear, I mean the one on the top where the pinon shaft goes through, not the bull gear.

yea this one really just needs new bearings but i had been avioding that because,
1. i'm betting buying new bearings is more expensive than just getting another one
2. i was hopeing to just drop another one in and not deal with rebuilding it.

i'm gonna keep looking but if i can't find one would you want to part with the bearings?

my spare is pretty well rusted and i just can't seem to convince myself that it is a good idea to try and clean it up and run it.

Bearings are about $125-140 bucks new including races from Memphis equipment. I bought new bearings including races for both of my steering rocks for $265 dollars to my door. Reshimming the gear is easy...takes 15 minutes if you have a press..pm me if you have any questions..

BootyFab said:
yea this one really just needs new bearings but i had been avioding that because,
1. i'm betting buying new bearings is more expensive than just getting another one
2. i was hopeing to just drop another one in and not deal with rebuilding it.

i'm gonna keep looking but if i can't find one would you want to part with the bearings?

my spare is pretty well rusted and i just can't seem to convince myself that it is a good idea to try and clean it up and run it.
better buy new ones it sounds like^ I don't know how many of mine are still together. like I said, its a pile of parts.

i got one i just pulled out of a rear axle i might sell i really need anything to help me 4 link my rear or anything that might help me build these rocks

i doubt i have anything you would be interested in trading for, how much $$ do you want for it?

edit: come to think of it i do have a extra hydraulic ram, if you are planning on doing hydraulic steering? also got some extra tapered inserts to switch from TRE's to heims on the tie rod. Thats all i can think of that i have that might be useful to you

Just dug it out of the corner of the garage, i think its a 3 inch bore, might be 2.5. The clevis end on the piston was drilled out and has a pipe welded in for a 3/4 thru bolt because of the funky way i had it mounted, so that would probably need to be replaced but should be a cheap part and easily replaced. It was only used on one ride then i switched it out cause i didn't match the orbital and ram size well so i switched to a smaller ram. Its a standard ag style ram.

that seems like a really big ram i always ran 2 inch bore on my 60 's is that most everone runs on these but wheere are u located

It is big but with the right orbital valve and a decent pump it should work fine, i had the wrong valve for that size ram so i had a lot of turns of the wheel to go lock to lock when i ran it. I'm in jackson MS right now but go to school at MSU (starkville), will be going back to starkville for a day or 2 later this week so i would be closer to over your way. If you want to work something out i can probably cruise over to birmingham before going back to jackson.

i dont know about the ram i am prob goin to just go double ended ram but what is a third member worth its straight out of a military axle

Latest posts