• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwell newbie

has anyone in the area narrowed a rockwell?
I'm gonna build my first rig with these heavy suckers.
I don't know anyone around who wheels and would like to meet someone to show me some trails.
I got tools and a little time.
I build houses for a living and do a little music on the side.
I do video editing as well.

I've read I think all I can about the rockwells I need somone to kick my ass and tell me to go for it. It will be my first narowing project and I don't want to mess it up.
I've tooken my stock Hardbody Nissan as far as it will go. I'm ready to cut it up or get something to cut up. I've bought the Calmini SAS kit for the Nissan and was going to put a D44 under the front. It's just sitting in a box and have been toying with the idea of a 4 link. I've been studying everything I can but have not made any decision. Mabey these rocks are too big for around here? Even narrowed? I will be driving this thing on the street and will buy disc brakes and locker for it.
Nice site
Scott

Howdy, welcome to the board!

If you don't have the Rockwells yet, you may be well-advised to consider somewhat more standard fare in axles. Dana 60's can likely be narrowed by many folks with professional tools and time - and in this case, it can be done right.

IMO, Rockwells won't drive well on the street: At 7:1 with that bull gear on top you'll never get above 50 MPH with them unless you've got a serious OD.

Again - IMO - Rockwells are cool and I'd love to have a set, but you've almost got to trailer the ride that's got them under it :)

we'll I've already got them.
I was thinking of a 4x4 700r4 with the od.
I do alot of construction locally but it would be nice to get up to highway speeds. I guess I could sell them as well

with the axles being 6.72:1 that just means yoou can run bigger tires. :masturbanana[1]:

Rockwells

Dont be scared of Rockwells. They will work great if you are running 44"+ tires. How narrow do you want to go? You can flip the front hubs easily, and they will be close to the same width as a full size axle. If you want to be narrower than that, shorten the long side to use a foctory short shaft. You can buy short shafts from Chucks Trucks, Boyce Equipment, or Ouversonengineering.com . If you need help with the housing give me a call, I like doing hardcore custom axles. Right now I am building a Dana 60 front Rockjock 5-lug for a cj-7 with all the neat mods. 253-314-6507 Corey

6.72 would be crazy low for most vehicles but in nissans that would be perfect for 44 before i sased my frontier i was running 5.14s for 33s and it was pefect now that im on 36s i need lower your big problem is having the tires covered

I have the short shaft and I was planning on taking out the 7.25 inches or whatever needed. I know they don't turn as well as other axles but I'm afraid to put a Dana 44 under my truck just to pull it out later cause of potential breakage.
See, I have'nt driven the trails around here to know if the rockwells under a Nissan or short frame would work ok. Remember rear steer is out cause I want to use this thing on the road. I guess I would have to get those fiberglass fenders mabey. 44 tires would be crazy to make it all work.
Any other thoughts

Dont be scared of Rockwells. They will work great if you are running 44"+ tires. How narrow do you want to go? ...................... If you need help with the housing give me a call, I like doing hardcore custom axles. Right now I am building a Dana 60 front Rockjock 5-lug for a cj-7 with all the neat mods.

I may give you a call.
I just need someone to kick me in the neck :puke: to get this project started.
I've been thinking about all of it to long!:eeek:

I guess the the biggest that will fit under fiberglass or custom fenders without looking too screwy. I planned on also putting on some of those mohawk skids to help with ground clearance. I was thinking stazworks for rims

if you are going to run rockwells on the street the disk brake kit is big money pinion brake is not legal for street use. also you would need to run huge tire's 44 or larger or you will have low ground clearance unless you shave the bottom of the housing. Overson makes a kit to put 8 lug hubs on them with disk brakes and all so you can run standard 8 lug 15" wheel but they are real proud of their stuff .

rockwells

Megatoy66 has some 53" tires on rockwell pattern wheels for sale. What makes pinion brakes non street legal? I know they get hot faster.

My samurai has 5.38 rear gears and the sami t case is 1.4:1 in high that is 7.59:1 final drive. So actually lower than your 6.7:1 rockwell ratio and with 36's I can do freeway speeds with out feeling like the motor is gonna blow.

Turns about 4000 at 65. I guess it depends on what motor you are gonna run but 4000 grand for most import motors is not that big a deal.

Try playing with this gear ratio calculator a little. It will give you a better idea of were you are goning to be / what gearing you will need in trans/ transfercase

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

JUST DO IT:redneck:

Megatoy66 has some 53" tires on rockwell pattern wheels for sale. What makes pinion brakes non street legal? I know they get hot faster.

If you were to break an axle with a pinion break, you'd have no brakes. At least not on that side. And it would depend on the locker if you'd have them at all.

cool calculator!!
it look like the setup with 40" tires about 2500 rpm @65mph with a 700r4
it's about $2000 for all around disc brakes.
thanks for the help so far!

got them from a guy in Orting for $1000. I was thinking of getting a pathfinder and cutting the ass off it and doing an exo lumber rack thing. I haven't seen one yet so don't tell anyone, my idea. I bought the Calmini SAS kit but was considering a 4 link. I understand the concept of triangulation and anti squat but I don't know crap about tuning shocks and springs. I'd love to put in a cummins t4b nv4500 combo or go automatic with a 383 stroker and a 700r4. I have found there is no such thing as a perfect ride so things will need to be sacrificed. Streetability is not one of them. I want to use this pig all the time.