• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwell spindle studs?

SHELBS44

Frosty beverages and HL2 FTW
I remember seeing something about replace the spindle studs do to them being grade 5 somewhere on here just can't find it. At the point of about to bolt mine together and just wanting to see options. Any other info y'all can give me will be helpful also. I have read a ton but it's all kind of scattered around on info

Yes remove the shitty studs and put bolts back in. If you're gonna run the hubs flipped in you have to anyways but get rid of them either way. I was on hellivator a few years back and got too far left and slid backwards and hit the stump with my driver rear tire and it ripped the spindle completely off and sent the tire and all rolling back down the hill and it pulled my axle out in the process and broke the stubshaft and twisted the splines on the inner shaft. There are 12 studs that are on each side and mine pulled the threads off of six and broke the upper 6 off flush in the knuckle. So to get back to the trailor I robbed nuts from the passenger side to half ass get it back together to get out. And the broke off studs in the knuckle I was able to weld nuts to those and back them all out luckily.

I've always put grade 8 bolts in mine with no issues so far with tires up to 54's. But if you hit something hard enough there's always that chance goes with out saying.

Im84 said:
I've always put grade 8 bolts in mine with no issues so far with tires up to 54's. But if you hit something hard enough there's always that chance goes with out saying.
you are correct. Plus I'm told time after time I'm too rough on **** also. If I'm not mistaken I think I've been at jellico with Jason Vanover and you were there once when I had my 79 f150 on rocks and I was being mean to it.

BUG-E J said:
Shouldn't matter with you drivin :flipoff1:

Just because your buggy likes me driving it better than you do that ain't my fault. :driving: sum bitch always tries to roll over and play dead with you :stir:

fordcontraption01 said:
Yes remove the shitty studs and put bolts back in. If you're gonna run the hubs flipped in you have to anyways but get rid of them either way. I was on hellivator a few years back and got too far left and slid backwards and hit the stump with my driver rear tire and it ripped the spindle completely off and sent the tire and all rolling back down the hill and it pulled my axle out in the process and broke the stubshaft and twisted the splines on the inner shaft. There are 12 studs that are on each side and mine pulled the threads off of six and broke the upper 6 off flush in the knuckle. So to get back to the trailor I robbed nuts from the passenger side to half ass get it back together to get out. And the broke off studs in the knuckle I was able to weld nuts to those and back them all out luckily.

Thank ya. That's what I was thinking just wanted to make sure. I was pretty sure it was you I had seen saying to upgrade them just couldn't find it. I'll pull them out tonight and match them up to some grade 8 **** I got.

I always use grade 12 button heads. 3 reasons , their free from work, don't hafta grind much off the studs when flipped in, their rediculously strong

My hubs from everything I can tell from my rig before we're flipped out. So I think I'm good on the flipping in part. And luckily I work for caterpillar so all our bolts are grade 8-9 period. Only downside is the bolt heads are always a size bigger than normal thread pitch. I appreciate the info! Really do. Hopefully make them hold to 47s with a built 6.0 and a 200 shot. I mean I know axles are gonna pop but don't want to rip a knuckle off too :****:

SHELBS44 said:
My hubs from everything I can tell from my rig before we're flipped out. So I think I'm good on the flipping in part. And luckily I work for caterpillar so all our bolts are grade 8-9 period. Only downside is the bolt heads are always a size bigger than normal thread pitch. I appreciate the info! Really do. Hopefully make them hold to 47s with a built 6.0 and a 200 shot. I mean I know axles are gonna pop but don't want to rip a knuckle off too :****:
sounds like a nice fun ride booyang

That's the plan!!!! :****: this was the set up before I got her and going back the same way minus some interior changes due to my height and an ls. And adding rear steer near in the future

SHELBS44 said:
That's the plan!!!! :****: that was the set up before I got her and going back the same way minus some interior changes due to my height and an ls. And adding rear steer near in the future