• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

RV for a tow rig??

offroadwerks

Psalm 23:4
I have been considering getting rid of my daily driver/tow rig and getting a RV in the 10K-15K price range. I have found a couple in this price range that seem to be in good shape with low milage. I can't really afford to have both so the RV would be my primary tow rig. I know it would be a gas hog but with the hassle of camping in a tent or price of a hotel room offset the cost of driving a RV. I usually get to hit the trail about once a month and have anywhere from 1.5 to 4 hrs oneway to the offroad parks that we go to on a regular basis. Any pros and cons from first hand experience would be appreciated.

I keep my uncles camper at my house for 11 months. He lives in Alaska and I have full use of it for all but the one month he comes and visits the family. It is a nicer camper and is prob around the 20k mark. I have used it several times for riding and just taking the family camping and completely despise the entire camper use. Keep in mind all I have to do is pay for the gas I use with no insurance or payments to go along with it and would still rather sleep in a hotel or sleeping bag in an enclosed trailer. What little I do use it it is a compete hassle and pain in the but. You have to get it ready to go then clean it up when you get back home. Let me also say I love to camp.

glad this was brought up, i been thinkin class a rv with a cummins and allison tranny, if it could reliably tow buggy and trailer. lookin around 30-40ft rv, i always just see like a tracker or jeep on towbar behind the big rvs, so dont know what i could pull with 1.

Budget YJ said:
You that far behind??????? :dunno:

Thats been gone for a while now.

BugEJ has it.

Lol. I just saw your avatar and thought that was him posting. Apparently I need to start getting more sleep.

We've enjoyed the RV for towing... Kind of a nice deal with 4 kids and the wife most of our trips

And it tows 15k like its nothing...

turena6u.jpg

TURNEROFFROAD said:
We've enjoyed the RV for towing... Kind of a nice deal with 4 kids and the wife most of our trips

And it tows 15k like its nothing...
ytase7ep.jpg
Thats a nice setup. what is that about 60 some odd feet long?Hate to make a wrong turn with that.

Re: Re: RV for a tow rig??

I have though about this. We have a 3500 and a truck camper and I pull my ranger behind it. I was thinking of a camper we could use independent of the crawler but still got decent mpg. Our main
reason for a camper is shower and shitter.

How much weight are you going to tow? Class A or C? If Class A-gas or diesel?

I tow my Toyota on an 18' trailer with a 1991 Class A-454 tbi, Thorley longtube headers, magnaflow exhaust, towmaster chip and some suspension and towing mods. It tows it quite well.

DSCN0715.jpg

I love my RV. Use it for wheeling and so much more. I am in it this evening at HPO. Nice and quiet with nobody here. Beautiful sunset today. I bought mine 11-10-10, right at two years ago. I keep a journal, tonight is my 203rd night in it.

Watch your towing capacity, take is across the scales and then look at the cargo carrying capacity available.

Mine is:
Front axle: 14,600
Drive axle: 20,000
Tag axle: 10,000
Trailer capacity: 10,000

Total: 54,600 pounds.

My actual weights are:
Front axle: 14,050
Drive axle: 17,660
Tag axle: 5,600
Trailer capacity: 9,800

So, while I could add more weight to the coach, I am maxed out on the trailer.

Beware, some gas units barely have enough to tow a small vehicle 4 down. Do your homework before you purchase.

My coach is 43' and I am 74' overall. That is 9 feet over limit for all states in the southeast.

JohnG just said everything that I was about to. Definitely weigh it at the scales. Mine is almost maxed out on the rear axle, trailer is at max, but the front axle is under weight.

I definitely need to do my homework and really look at towing capacity. I'm leaning toward a class c in the 24'range. Would love to find a E450 with 7.3 in it about that size. Dragr1 your set up looks good and something in that year model seems to be in my price range too. My rig weighs somewhere in the 4-5k lb. I'm also wondering how they do in a muddy parking lot. I had a dually once that would get stuck in the yard with a heavy dew? Thanks for the input.

Class C's have issues with frame extensions, but a 24' may not. This can be an issue on Class A's as well-usually those over 30' or so.

If you're looking at older rigs like mine then be sure to check out all of the "other" stuff closely and not just the drivetrain. Water heater, fridge, batteries, brakes, furnaces, a/c, and so on. All that stuff will start adding up. I bought mine ultra cheap and over the past 5 years I have replaced almost everything. My wife even decided to remodel the interior:

http://s42.beta.photobucket.com/user/dragr1/library/#/user/dragr1/library/1991%20Motorhome?&_suid=1351737996637046817655375973704

offroadwerks said:
I definitely need to do my homework and really look at towing capacity. I'm leaning toward a class c in the 24'range. Would love to find a E450 with 7.3 in it about that size. Dragr1 your set up looks good and something in that year model seems to be in my price range too. My rig weighs somewhere in the 4-5k lb. I'm also wondering how they do in a muddy parking lot. I had a dually once that would get stuck in the yard with a heavy dew? Thanks for the input.

A motorhome will have a lot more weight over the rear axle than an empty dually. But still it won't be great in a muddy parking lot.

I have a 1994 34' diesel pusher with a 12 valve cummins and an Allison 6 speed I'm thinking about selling. It needs a little work but mechanically it's in good shape. It pulls 6k pounds like it's not even there.