• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

S&N chassis owners

Paulie

Looking for man love
I'm looking for information on how Jason and Trevor built drivelines from a axle shaft. I want to believe they used a front 60 shaft? Anyone willing to help me out

Like it was said, an axle cut off and splines welded on.

What I did not like is that the U-joint was welded on the axle shaft side of the driveline. What I did on my last driveline was have a 1350 yoke from a t-case welded onto a old axle shaft(14 bolt). This way I had serviceable u-joints. The other u-joint I would have to grind off. The other issue was if you used a standard u-joint , the heat from welding often melted the plastic bit on the u-joint. Some of us used Tom Leblanc's "Magic U joint. I ended up putting most a standard u-joint in a tub of water, then put a bunch of tacks to weld the u-joint in. Tom had a sleeve he made to put in a standard joint, so no plastic, and can be fully welded.

Found on Pirate:

Tom LeBlanc (aka Captain America) is now making what he likes to call "magic u-joints" for Dana 44 axles. Basically the needle bearrings are removed and a sleeve is put in their place. The benefits of this are that you won't have needles to wear out, and when you weld the caps in (which you need to), there is no risk of damaging anything. Tom is not guarranteeing that you won't break a u-joint ever again, but this a lot stronger than a stock joint, and Tom has now been running these for a year, and has broken off two shafts, but hasn't hurt one joint yet. For $50.00 per joint, you get a new u-joint with sleeves in it. All that is required is that you install them in your shafts, and weld them up.

I solved the welded in U-joint deal by machining off the yoke at the end of the donor shaft. Then taking a billet steel 1350 output yoke (U-bolt style) and boring the splines from its ID. Machine to a ~.002 interference fit...heat yoke....drop on shaft....weld on.

Now you have 1350 U-bolt Yokes on both Drive line and Diff.

Heres a pic from Clarks thread...you can see the yokes...or not. Page 7 or 8 is the pic

IMG953426_zpsbplyfbg7.jpg.html

Last edited: