• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sad day for Tellico

gamjunior

Well it looks like I will never be able to go to Tellico........ :-\

The Forest Service released their final decision on the Tellico OHV area today (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/press/t...ws_release.pdf). The went with their preferred alternative, permanent closure!

The Forest Service is allocating $2.3 to implement their final decision program. Trail 1 will be paved with asphalt from the paved portion in TN to the paved portion in NC. Trails 4, 5 & 6 will be graded, prepared and maintained as Forest Service Roads to provide hunting and fishing access. This will be 13 miles of road for park access. All other trails will be closed permanently!

SFWDA intends to fight this decision through the proper channels during the 45 day appeal process and into courts of law if necessary. Details will be forthcoming from the association on how you can participate in the fight to Save Tellico!

I have never been there so don't know what I am missing I guess. But I mean with all the great places to ride in the south east this is not that big a deal I would not think. Yes it sucks for the locals that made their living or at least a great portion of it off of ORV traffic and sucks to loose any wheeling spot but this topic has been just about beat into the ground over the last year.

Flame on now Im ready :****:

Not a surprise to me at all. I do not under stand why or how government can take away a piece of ground that is suppose to be public, and then restrict the public from it. I am not sure our government is heading in the right direction anymore. ::)

rock yuppie said:
Not a surprise to me at all. I do not under stand why or how government can take away a piece of ground that is suppose to be public, and then restrict the public from it. I am not sure our government is heading in the right direction anymore. ::)

How bout now they want to take your right to FISH away from you....... :****:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/articles/feds_to_60_million.html

"IRVINE, Calif. USA â€" October 5, 2009 â€" A recently published administration document outlines a structure that could result in closures of sport fishing in salt and freshwater areas across America. The White House created an Interagency Oceans Policy Task Force in June and gave them only 90 days to develop a comprehensive federal policy for all U.S. coastal, ocean and Great Lakes waters. Under the guise of ‘protecting’ these areas, the current second phase of the Task Force direction is to develop zoning which may permanently close vast areas of fishing waters nationwide. This is to be completed by December 9, 2009."

rock yuppie said:

Been headed in the wrong direction for a LONG time now. :mad:

The road from TELLICO PLAINS is now PAVED to the bridge at the intersection of trail 1 & 5,the road on the MURPHY side is about to be PAVED to the ALLEN GAP check in station,

and lined with NICE HOMES,the HUNTERS do not want us up there,the "TROUT PEOPLE" do not want us up there, it is on NATIONAL FOREST LAND !!

ANY THINKING PERSON HAS KNOWN FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS THAT TELLICO WAS GONNA GET SHUT DOWN TO US..........

..........IT SUCKS AND IT IS SAD........LOTS OF GOOD RIDING MEMORIES FROM TELLICO........I HAVE A LOT OF THEM.....

....I JUST THINK IT IS A FIGHT WE HAVE LOST PEOPLE.....and I,m SICK of people acting SUPRISED over it !!

I agree Julio. If you ever wheeled at Tellico you could see the impact of what we did. Most of the trails were in 10ft trenches from all the erosion. The last time we rode there in Fall 2007 we all talked about how it would be gone soon. There was just no denying what we did was destroying the environment. Our last ride there was awesome and I will always remember it. We went up and down every trail it had to offer in mostly full bodied rigs. It was bone dry and lots of fun.

Pics to prove my point.
SlickRock Exit
DSC01045.jpg

School Bus
Tellico057.jpg

548923978_g9RtU-L.jpg

Peckerwood
548922233_StEKt-M.jpg

This is going to sound really fawked up coming form the side of the fence I am on but I am in agreement with not letting off road vehicles into national forests and things of that at nature if it actually does damage to the environment. Don't get me wrong but there is a place for everything - we as wheelers can't have the entire world as our playground - but we are very fortunate to have so many places to wheel over here on the right coast-we should be grateful for that for sure!

I don't really care if Tellico closes, never have. It was a breeding ground of non-tread lightly, uneducated wheelers. Tellico has a long past before any of us ever wheeled there. It was being logged many many years ago. There's no telling how many cuts have been made. Then the military used it for training. After that, VW rail buggy's use to whomp on it. As far as the erosion goes, we pay to play and that money to me should have went to erosion control. I hate when people find a problem with.....I don't know, anything. Instead of trying to find a solution, they try to eliminate the so called cause. Example Tellico erosion+creek+trout =shut it down. My thinking erosion+creek+trout= new roads, elimanate creek crossing, water run off containment. Hell, make it a college course and have student design and come up with ways to prevent erosion. I know UGA has rights to some of our old hunting properties to do just that. That's private land, why not on public land?

Last time we were there you could tell they spent LOTS of time and money on eroision control, settling pools, drainage, etc. But there was still a creek crossing or two and I think bridges were in the works. I still think it would be fun to go there for a weekend and site see, rent a cabin, maybe do some fishing.

HELLO...........it is on NATIONAL FOREST LAND.......WE GOT DAMN LUCKY TO RIDE THERE AS LONG AS WE DID PEOPLE,........JESUS,

............WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE GONNA SUE ..... ??? ??? ???

DAMN RIGHT J. J. ..............we should ALL enjoy the PRIVATE PARKS ..................................WHILE WE ARE STILL ALLOWED TO RIDE IN THEM :****:

Why is everyone so willing to roll over and play dead just because it was national forest land? It's public land that I can no longer use for my recreation. We need better representation on the east coast, we can't trailer up and find the next private park forever.

It won't be long before the private parks are targeted, Tellico was just the beginning. As more and more land owners are targeted and fined or sued for "erosion" there will be fewer and fewer places to ride. The fines and legal fees are huge and noone I know is willing to pay **** to ride anywhere. Where is the incentive for landowners to keep their parks open? :****:

WOW...........have you not noticed the "TREEHUGGIN,CARBON FOOTPRINTED,ENVIRO NAZI " direction this country is goin in man ??

The entrenched trails were actually cut by the forest service as a way to control erosion by basically concentrating it to just the trail.