• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sami rear end question

clifty

just pulled the 3rd out of the zuk to weld the spiders. as far as i know its stock. but maybe not, anyways it looks like a closed carrier. the thing is both tires definately don't spin. im guessin its some kind of lsd with bad clutches. anyone else seen this. i thought the whole thing as stock when i got it so im kinda lost, wasn't really planning to get another third:eeek:

Justin

The stock sami carriers are solid. The most common way to weld these is the fozzy locker method. Pull the side gears out, weld up two valleys, leave two open, weld two, leave two open....

The stock sami carriers are solid. The most common way to weld these is the fozzy locker method. Pull the side gears out, weld up two valleys, leave two open, weld two, leave two open....

I did some research and found out exactly what you said. Do you think they are worth welding or should i just throw a spool in.

Or do as I did. Open it up and fill it in with scrap plate and bolts as you weld the whole damn thing. Do it slow as to not over heat. I have had welded rears bust in the pass but with this set up it wont.

Or do as I did. Open it up and fill it in with scrap plate and bolts as you weld the whole damn thing. Do it slow as to not over heat. I have had welded rears bust in the pass but with this set up it wont.

got a picture of that???? i wanna see

got a picture of that???? i wanna see

Sorry got no pics I was tryin to get it done to go wheelin:redneck: I had beat the hell out of the rear end and drive on the road alot as well and its holding strong. Stood it on one wheel under power and all good. What do you run for motor and tires? Geared?

i got stock in the axles with 6.5.1 t case running 32x11.50 its just a 1.3 hope to change that before long

Fill it with lead....work for me for 3 yrs running 33" LTB's....sold the diff 3.5 yrs ago, and it's still going today!!!

Fill it with lead....work for me for 3 yrs running 33" LTB's....sold the diff 3.5 yrs ago, and it's still going today!!!

really i do have a forge that would be pretty simply i have lots of lead too for making my own downrigger balls. so how exactly would i go about this. i haven't heard this one yet seems like it would be a strong way to go

i got stock in the axles with 6.5.1 t case running 32x11.50 its just a 1.3 hope to change that before long

Same set up as me but I only have 31's:booo: Welded would work good for you:awesomework:

This is a good idea I forgot about:awesomework: Works really well and yes it is strong.

really i do have a forge that would be pretty simply i have lots of lead too for making my own downrigger balls. so how exactly would i go about this. i haven't heard this one yet seems like it would be a strong way to go

If you have two shafts with twisted splines...cut them to about 8" long...stick one in a vice splines pointing up. If you don't have any, I have a couple extra shafts you can have for this!:redneck:
Now, take your 3rd out, measure your backlash (should be somewhere around .004-.006"; remove the carrier from the 3rd. stick the ring gear end onto the shaft in the vice and drop the 2nd cut shaft into the top. You should see two windows in the carrier that are oval shaped...Take and heat up enough lead (to fill the inside of the carrier) to a molten state, remove the impurities that float to the top; Better to melt too much than not enough!!! once ready take and pour the lead quickly, but carefully into one of the oval openings until you see the lead fill the other opening, making sure that the one your pouring into is also full, once full---LET IT COOL NATURALLY!!! Once cool, reset the carrier into the 3rd and torque everything to spec, set your backlash......bolt it in!!! LOCKED!!!!

maybe we can get together one of these days and i can see your magic hahah there might be some beers in it for ya

wouldn't that be a bad thing? mine are straight as an arrow.. at least i thought

Get spares!!!:awesomework: In fact, graysquirrel on here knows someone whose got a set of complete front and rear axle assemblies....pm him for more info! Probably not much of an issue open/open, but once locked up, with aggressive tires and a heavy right foot---they will twist over time. Your current tires shouldn't pose a problem though...

Get spares!!!:awesomework: In fact, graysquirrel on here knows someone whose got a set of complete front and rear axle assemblies....pm him for more info! Probably not much of an issue open/open, but once locked up, with aggressive tires and a heavy right foot---they will twist over time. Your current tires shouldn't pose a problem though...

i love that skinny pedal and i am not planning to go bigger on the tires. I can tuck those things nicely and with the short wheel base I don't really get to many clearance problems..momentum is your friend anyways lol. I drive it everyday so thats kinda why i have held off as long as i did but i need that tire spinning its never fun to pull cable