• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Samurai locker

tommyboy20

Can someone help me out, I tore down my samurai front end ( just got it knuckles were leaking) was told there was a locker in the front a (Spartan)which there is but it's has factory axles in it , I've been reading and it says if you put a locker in ther front you have to change the spider gear and change the axles, how is that possible?

Dunno much about it... But I just had mine apart... We think its a ez locker... Or loc rite... Running stock sammi axles...

91F0EE81-FD99-4160-8C71-88A37BC606E0-1331-000001DD41750961.jpg

F11B572D-3D2E-4197-B925-21E5A41D94EC-472-000000A1E6C6155A.jpg

some axle manufacturers have a 26 spline inner shaft, which would necessitate the need for rear side gears in the front diff; I don't know of a locker that would require you to change side gears to run the locker...What Phil showed is indeed an EZ-locker, or lock-rite for a Sami diff...They both retain the stock side gears...:awesomework:

It just says where you buy spartan locks it says you have to change the side gears which to me replacing the axles because they would be different splines

If you have stock axleshafts (22 spline inners), then it should still have the stock side gears...Maybe whoever sold you the rig didn't know exactly what was up front, and took a shot in the dark...
I read a couple install articles for the Spartan, and it is NO different than doing a L.R., or EZ-locker, UNLESS you go with aftermarket 26 spline axleshafts up front-THEN you would be required to replace the side gears to 26 spline units...And that part is no different when doing a lock-rite or EZ...

Last edited:
The instructions are for a 26 spline rear application, which is identical to doing the front, only the front side gears are 22 spline...

Didn't look at your link yet... But the only thing I've heard of that sounds like what you're talking about is putting a rear diff up front so you can run 26 spline stock axles all around vs having the stock 22 splines up front... Will look at the link now...

Saw the link... Looks like what I've got...

I just pulled apart the front and rear of my new sammi... I had a broken front left axle at the inner splines when I bought the rig... And broke the left rear at the inner splines playing bumper cars with Taylor out on the trail... Had to disassemble both... I replaced with stock long side axles, 26 rear and 22 front then went to elbe and went through the busy without breaking anything!

So... The locker stays the same front/rear... It's the carrier bearing hub that changes front/rear... This piece... Well... I don't have a picture of the part specifically, but its the part behind the bearing retainer that holds the axle splines...

DE0B5E8A-B820-4F63-B554-240291B853EC-472-000000A1EF6E546D.jpg

898C6FF7-9A8A-4DE7-B3C2-B87999CBD3C0-472-000000A1EB012B60-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok thanks for all you help I just wanted to know what I had to do to upgrade axles, so the axle in the now will work with 26 spline axles?

You have to change the front side gears to rear side gears inside the carrier to run aftermarket axles up front, or like Phil said, find stock a rear diff assembly and throw the locker in that...did you count the splines on your inner axles while you had them apart?

If he were to find a stock sammi rear axle, steal the side gears that go beside the locker inside... Will the stock front axle seal still be the right size? And would he need to change the hubs to a 26 spline as well?

I'm asking cause I also do not know... And I've thought about doing this myself... Just didn't look into it yet... And would finding 26 spline fronts be hard?

I'm still not sure what direction I'm gonna go with my sammi... Beef it up... Or keep it the way it is... Seemed pretty handy capable on the trails so far... I'm leaning towards waiting til I break something before I actively 'upgrade'...

What direction are you going with your sammi? Just getting it back on the trail? Or beefing it up?

You can get 26 spline axles at low range off road.com, and you can get the side gears, I just thought the axles slid into the locker so I thought that had to be the same splines, yea I counted the splines there 22, so is the outer axle 26 spline I haven't counted those but it looks like there are more splines on the outer shafts

Had a stock sammi front axle sitting in my truck bed... Just checked... The inner is 22 spline, and the outter is 26 spline... I'm not sure if the birfs are memovable front the inner shaft... Too much grease in there to check at the moment...

When I pulled my left side axles, they were both broken at the same place... At the inner splines... Like this:

92CC90C3-2372-4D48-ADD7-2F9A18CCE1E6-472-000000A1D79ECC63.jpg

When I break again, I'll either find a way to 'chromoly' them... (Which I've heard you MUST upgrade to 26 pline on the front to achieve this)... Or look into yota axles etc...

So if I change the axles I just have to change the inner spider gears and I can still use the same locker?

Yes, or you can spend a bit extra and get side gears with the locker.

On a side note, when you upgrade to the Chromo front axles the birfields are slightly larger then stock so you will have to pull the kingpins and the knuckle to put the front axle in. An alternative is to get a set of Calmini heavy duty front axles that would allow you to run stock birfields, but I agree that you should go with the chromo kits. And it's hard to go wrong with Trail Tough.