• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Samurai rear 4 link questions/help

xjtony

Trailer Park Gangsta
I'm wanting to do a 4 link on my samurai. I'm interested in any tips or designs that others have done on a Sammy. I remember seeing Kush's samurai build pics a while back but no clue where it is. I'm semi clueless to all the lingo in the geometry/setup. All I've gathered from reading is the lowers need to be as flat as possible to prevent rear steer, 8" or so vertical separation on the axle end, etc. I have limited knowledge on this. Just mainly looking for advice and what not. My samurai is toy axled,5.29's,6.5. Currently on leafs that are outboarded too much on the rear and suspension travel sucks because of it. Instead of moving the rear spring mounts around I figured linking it would just skip to the end of the line.

Just on a side note...I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your current setup to understand what you're describing as your problems. Having the springs outboarded means you have more stability and it probably left you with a lower ride height. Having gobs of flex isn't the key...its transferring the traction to opposite tires. Look at it this way...if one rear tire is stuffed all of that weight is being transferred to the opposite front tire...which is usually a good thing since the front is typically what pulls you through an obstacle.

I ran my rig for several years with leafs at all 4 corners and loved it. The only reason I linked the rear was to try something new and challenge myself to build and wheel it. In other words I got bored with the current setup. Then I wheeled it with front leafs for another year or two and once again...decided to link the front because I was bored and wanted to try something new.

What I'm getting at is that the leafs were never the limiting factor on my rig...and I would think most guys here would agree the limiting factor is usually the driver and what you're willing to do to you and your rig on the trail.

I disagree a lil. I think the benefits of a decent 4link are huge. While I do agree, " It's not what you drive, but how you drive it". I can honestly say I never wish to go back to leaf springs ever again. With a 4link even remotely close to "right", I think the traction differences (staying planted) are amazing. Knowing your rig, and it's quirks definitely make a huge difference, (learning to drive it) but I still feel you're driving around a problem. Not to mention you don't get your brains beat out just running down a trail with pebbles in it. :****:

Current setup is shackle reversal up front with slider boxes, has some brand of 2-3" lift front yota leafs. Those leafs were stiff as hell so I broke the front spring packs down to just the main and added cut down toy rear leafs under the main. Works decently now. The rear is yota rear leafs, with the springs outboarded a little to stock Toyota spring perch width. My previous samurai I had the rear leafs inboarded under the frame and it worked great. I'm thinking of switching out the front leafs for Rubicon Express 1.5" YJ leafs, the reverse eye ones. I know those leafs work well. I looked at Clemsonjeep's build and my rear leafs are about the same place as yours were, just lower down. Maybe it will work out okay. I should move my back like yours were.

I was running the stock YJ leafs off of my 93 YJ. Never ruined a pack, but by the time I finally removed the front packs they weren't quite the right shape anymore, but they still worked great. Like Forbanger said though...the ride quality between leafs and 4 link is crazy.

I will stand behind my comment about limiting factors. If you want proof just go back and watch the old videos of Chris Durham competing in his CJ10 tug styled rig with leafs at all 4 corners. Then you have to re-read the last point in that sentence I made about it depending on what you're willing to do to your rig...

Damn I've probably watched this video 100 times...back in the day it would just blow my mind over and over again...
Hardcore Off Road Jeep Rock Crawling

That vid never gets old! Agree with you on the limiting factor for sure. A good driver is the most important part of the rig by far, especially if they have had plenty of seat time in said rig and know it's ins and outs! I never knew that was Durham by the way. flashemifyougotem