• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

samurai t-case??

gas is on the right

I have been fighting the t-case in the samurai for quite some time now.... It was popping the front end out of 4wd when under load... so I did some research and found my front output shaft was probably broke ... and it was so I ordered the one from trail-gear.. it works a lot better ... but still pops out... the flange for the front drive line has some play in it like a bad output shaft bearing maybe... but would that pop it in to 2wd... I have 6.5 to 1 gears in the t-case and 529s in the thirds.......any help would be great

It could be a number of things, but did you rebuild the case when you put the gears in? You could be on to something because the only other case I've heard of this was one who didn't change bearings with the gear install.
Other possibilities could be weak detent springs, or worn detents on the shift shaft. I'd definately look into that bearing though. :awesomework: Rebuild kits are pretty cheap for these. :awesomework:

I had the same problem with mine. In my case it was the shift fork/detent balls.

I removed the shift forks, and with a grinder I removed a little more of the shift fork where the detent balls sit. Stretched the detent spring a little and re-assembled.

Like Zukkev mentioned, check to see if the torque when in 4 lo makes the body come in contact with the shifter.

Good Luck

Popping out of 4hi, or 4low?? Is the case modded for 2Lo??? Twin sticks???

4low... no twin stick... and I don't know about the rebuild.. it came with the gears in it... the body doesn't hit the shifter.... when it pops out its a mofo to get back in 4wd...it feels like it goes to where 4low is but does not turn the front end... you have to go back and forth with the shifter like 5 times the it will engadge...im going to order a t-case rebuild kit anyways ... but i thought I would ask to see what other thought

If you haven't ordered you bearing kit yet I have the one from trail tough new in package for $70.00 Save you some money. They retail for 89.00.

Transfer_Case_Be_48cb02f0921d8_90x90.jpg

I am down in Graham.

Last edited:
Make sure you replace the needle bearing for the front output. It's the one in the end of the mainshaft. It is not included in the TG set.

I've seen alot of issues with popping out of 4x (hi or lo), due to tweeked T-case mounts, or fubar'd mounts on the frame...alot of people throw gears in their cases, and don't take into count the added torque this produces....my .02!!!

Make sure you replace the needle bearing for the front output. It's the one in the end of the mainshaft. It is not included in the TG set.

True---good advice if your gonna tear into it.:awesomework: Also, make sure the case isn't damaged from bearings walking back and forth...this would pretty much render a rebuild useless...

well i tore it out tonight and found that the little **** on the back of the output shaft broke for the 2nd time its the burly one from trail-gear... it slides into a bearing in the back so I'm going to order another one or see if the will warranty it :rolleyes: ....I got the output shaft bearing and seal from the dealer... I think the bearing being bad is causing the out put shaft to break

Last edited:

Latest posts