• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sbc on propane ?

Eddyj

I'm finishing a very budget build. As much as 400 hp sounds fun. For a weekend toy I'm not putting the effort or money into an ls. I want to keep the simplicity so I might be able to enjoy it. Instead of more building and chasing tuning and electrical issues. I have limited engine building experience. So if you were doing a old school Sbc on pane what would you do?
Vortec heads?
383?

Yeah I actually have two. One in the buggy and a "spare" both been rebuilt. But have ten years on them with minimum run time.

Wasting money doing anything too it. Fuel injection will wake it up more than a stroker kit.

Re:

I've got a 388 stroker in my jeep that I'm picking up a propane kt for, going to be doing some work on the engine next winter, looking forward to people's answers here also

Had a sbc in my old rig with propane, aluminum vortec heads, rpm air gap intake, and cam. Guessing it was close to 375-400 hp. That said, if you plan on being on the upper end of your rpm range much, you may need a dual pane set up.

The Fast EFI kits should be cheaper than a dual propane kit.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=20789.0

Here's a good thread with some pertinent info

Basically the thought is to build a small displacement torque monster if you want to maximize the potential of a single mixer setup. High cylinder pressure, high compression, minimal over lap

wimpykid said:
Had a sbc in my old rig with propane, aluminum vortec heads, rpm air gap intake, and cam. Guessing it was close to 375-400 hp. That said, if you plan on being on the upper end of your rpm range much, you may need a dual pane set up.

The Fast EFI kits should be cheaper than a dual propane kit.
Yeah if a single mixer will support 400 horses its on flat ground 2wd! :****:

Good info on the link thanks. I'm not down with an LS. Maybe one day. But not having any wire except starter and rotor makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Like I'm going to pack up my crap, drive 5 hours and wheel all weekend and not worry about a wire coming lose or coil pack. I'm in the mind set I would rather rock out with 300 reliable horse power as opposed to 450 you have to baby sit.

Eddyj said:
Good info on the link thanks. I'm not down with an LS. Maybe one day. But not having any wire except starter and rotor makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Like I'm going to pack up my crap, drive 5 hours and wheel all weekend and not worry about a wire coming lose or coil pack. I'm in the mind set use rather rock out with 300 reliable horse power as opposed to 450 you have to baby sit.
So how many miles or years does your factory truck, harness, pcm and wiring have you don't think twice about?

BUG-E J said:
So how many miles or years does your factory truck, harness, pcm and wiring have you don't think twice about?

Factory truck isn't exposed to elements, and is all zip tied up and mounted optimally in a daily driver.
Not trying to say propane is better, what I'm saying is at this point in my life simplicity out ways overall performance. If done properly you can't touch a ls based engine for reliability and performance. I understand that. I'm just not to that point to want to do it properly, I would half ass it due to time and/or funding. If I was having a shop build mine a would definitely check the turbocharged 6.0 box.

Plus I have two running Sbc. One in the buggy running on propane and one in the garage.

So if you wouldn't mind take your fancy ass and :gtfo: :flipoff1:

Eddyj said:
Factory truck isn't exposed to elements, and is all zip tied up and mounted optimally in a daily driver.
Not trying to say propane is better, what I'm saying is at this point in my life simplicity out ways overall performance. If done properly you can't touch a ls based engine for reliability and performance. I understand that. I'm just not to that point to want to do it properly, I would half ass it due to time and/or funding. If I was having a shop build mine a would definitely check the turbocharged 6.0 box.

Plus I have two running Sbc. One in the buggy running on propane and one in the garage.

So if you wouldn't mind take your fancy ass and :gtfo: :flipoff1:
Mine is all factory vortec stuff. Went to Oreileys and bought the sensors I needed. U have to flash the pcm to remove everything not needed but thats less than 200$.

If you choose all your parts carefully so they work together well you can have a strong torquey engine in the 350 hp range and run a single mixer setup. Keep the rpm below around 5000 and it will work. If you have any questions about propane give me a call.

altfuel1991 said:
If you choose all your parts carefully so they work together well you can have a strong torquey engine in the 350 hp range and run a single mixer setup. Keep the rpm below around 5000 and it will work. If you have any questions about propane give me a call.
I've always wondered just what it would take parts wise and money wise to make a 350hp propane motor. Sure it won't have the power I could get out of a LS but I bet I'd be pretty happy with it compared to my stock 350.

onepieceatatime said:
I've always wondered just what it would take parts wise and money wise to make a 350hp propane motor. Sure it won't have the power I could get out of a LS but I bet I'd be pretty happy with it compared to my stock 350.

I think $400 would do it... SHAVED vortec heads, springs, & a custom ground cam

rednecklights said:
So, that crank .... Balancing the rotating assembly , cam , machine work etc will cost how much ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have $2000 in my motor with everything from buying the block to duel propane set up. I shopped around for deals and bought used propane stuff but all my motor parts except rods are new. I used .030 over 350 pistons with 400 rods. Didn't have to buy expensive stroker pistons