• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on a 3 Link rear

that style will lead to massive rear steer. Also your links have to be below the center line of the axle or there is nothing to stop it from twisting and walking forward under load. not side to side but front to back the pinion will walk up and down

friend of mine runs a wishbone 3link in the rear of his cruiser, says he only notices the rearsteer when hes driving down the highway at 65-70, but loves it on the trail and hes got tractor hiems on all his link ends.

MonsterMazda said:
friend of mine runs a wishbone 3link in the rear of his cruiser, says he only notices the rearsteer when hes driving down the highway at 65-70, but loves it on the trail and hes got tractor hiems on all his link ends.

How does it have rear steer driving down the road?

Rear steer comes into affect when the suspension articulates.

phew said:
Also your links have to be below the center line of the axle or there is nothing to stop it from twisting and walking forward under load.

How? As long and the upper and lower links are spread apart the axle shouldnt move. Whether the links are offset hight or centered on the axle it shouldnt matter.

KarlVP said:
I like little bits and pieces of everyone's long arm kits, but I can build my own for about 1/3 the price.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Do you already own a welder? grinders? tube notcher? drill press to run the notcher? torch or plasma cutter? I built my own 4 links front and rear, and while I don't regret it, I spent way more on the whole project than I anticipated. Yeah, the tubing itself is relatively cheap (I spent $300 on tubing) but all the joints, bushings, tabs, tools, etc add up quick.

phew said:
that style will lead to massive rear steer. Also your links have to be below the center line of the axle or there is nothing to stop it from twisting and walking forward under load. not side to side but front to back the pinion will walk up and down

Very true as I learned the hard way. I built my suspension with the lower links centered on the axle and when I built it I realized that I could not go to level on the lowers or the pinion would skyrocket under load.

2 years later when I added the coilovers i removed the crossmember that was my bumpstop for the axle. I forgot about the geometry as it had been working well.

First run out I snapped the rear driveshaft yoke and cracked the thirdmember housing (ford 9") I did not see the crack until the next run, when it blew the whole pinion out of the front of the third member on a mild hillclimb.

Lesson learned. put the bumpstop back in and do not allow the lower arms to come up to level again.

And yes, you will have a lot of rear steer. Fine for trail but you had better have some real good shocks to slow down the lean if you are going to drive it on the road.

also, to build the suspension as you are describing, with good materials, would be $650 to $750 just in materials.

phew said:
that style will lead to massive rear steer.

Why? Why would a 3 link wishbone style have any more rear steer then a any other link style?

I am asking to understand why.

wouldn't any type of suspension , have some sort of rear steer. Far as I know, no axle moves perfectly straight up and down.

4xjunkie said:
Why? Why would a 3 link wishbone style have any more rear steer then a any other link style?

I am asking to understand why.

wouldn't any type of suspension , have some sort of rear steer. Far as I know, no axle moves perfectly straight up and down.

To answer your question you could search on pirate and read for days and days and probably still not quite understand it all as I don't :redneck: or just take the word for it from guys who have done it and experienced it for themselves.

GaryTJ said:
also, to build the suspension as you are describing, with good materials, would be $650 to $750 just in materials.

I have done the math for it. It is way cheaper than $3000.

And I do have access to tools and metal fab stuff. (tube notchers, plasma, stuff like that)

The other thing is, when you buy tools and gain the expierence, you don't have to pay people to do the work for you. So sure, a tool may cost a bunch, but once you start using it, it pays for itself.