• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sealing tire bead...

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
I just installed a set of Bobby's beadlocks on my rig, I was out messing around and with the air pressure low when the tire would roll over on itself it would start to pull away from the inner bead and start leaking air. So I am going to pop the bead and seal it up with something but I'm not quite sure what would be the best to use. I'm curious what other people have used and what works best. I was thinking of just using some black RTV since I have enough to do all the beads already, anybody tried that before?

you can try (now dont laugh) using fake finger nail glue. a friend of mine used it on his non-beadlock wheels and never had a tire debead. but it kinda makes it a pain to seperate the tire from the wheel

Local marine supply store. (fishermans whatever) Black Sikaflex. Put it in the bead, inflate tire all the way. Let sit for a day or so. Works like a champ. You will have to run a razor blade around the bead to get the sikaflex to release when you change tires. I've done this on several rigs. It works well.

Local marine supply store. (fishermans whatever) Black Sikaflex. Put it in the bead, inflate tire all the way. Let sit for a day or so. Works like a champ. You will have to run a razor blade around the bead to get the sikaflex to release when you change tires. I've done this on several rigs. It works well.

Hmm, that sounds like a good option, maybe a little overkill though. Hopefully I'm going to be getting a new set of tires in like 6 months, so I don't want them to be too hard to break down (or clean up since I will be selling these), just keep them from burping, when I get the new tires I think that's the stuff I will be getting for sure!

I have the same beadlocks, and I used rtv black over the weld, and around the bolt holes. I also used bead sealant on the inner bead. You can get it at some Les Schwabs. I can run 3 pounds, and have no problem flexing out, and rolling onto the side walls without loosing any air. I got differing views on torque settings, so went with 25 lbs. It seems to be working. I had to tighten the bolts criss cross, using chalk to mark the tightened ones. did that about 5 times till I was sure they where pretty evenly torqued. Then check them after your first outing, and periodically after that.:awesomework:

sealer on tires/wheels is messy and a PITA.

Just use the old stock car trick. In dirt track classes at Elma where you cant run beadlocks cuz of the rules, they do this = Take the tire off and next to the bead lip is a lip pressed into the wheel that the tire "pops" over when seating the bead, Run a few beads of weld over this ridge making it higher, then clean it up with a flapper wheel so it doesnt chew the tire when going on.:awesomework: