• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Self employed insurance question

Craig

Question for you guys that are self employed and have kids. What are you doing for health insurance:? I cant afford a huge premium and really just need insurance if something bad were to happen. I have been looking on different websites but all I am seeing are policies through Obama care. I am nervous about Obama care because so many dr offices are not taking it. I thought about just saving cash in a separate account (1k a month or so) to cover our needs. It seems it may be more cost effective to do it this way and pay the stupid ass fine for not having insurance. I know dr offices will wheel and deal when you tell them you are paying cash. Thanks for any advice. I just turned my notice at my job to go full time with my fab shop.

I had a personal policy when I was self employed and it actually wasn't any more than what I am paying through work now (and they pay half). The issue was that after Obamacare that policy was going to be canceled in October of this year. I don't know what a policy would have cost then but I imagine it would have doubled. The having kids that will be on it is what will make it expensive. Honestly though if you just do a major medical policy on everyone it shouldn't be too bad and then you will be covered on emergency stuff.

Just go to Blue Cross website and pick out what you want. It was cheaper than getting it through work for me.

BUG-E J said:
Just go to Blue Cross website and pick out what you want. It was cheaper than getting it through work for me.

I was on their site and all of the policies that came up were part of Obama care...

matth_85 said:
I had a personal policy when I was self employed and it actually wasn't any more than what I am paying through work now (and they pay half). The issue was that after Obamacare that policy was going to be canceled in October of this year. I don't know what a policy would have cost then but I imagine it would have doubled. The having kids that will be on it is what will make it expensive. Honestly though if you just do a major medical policy on everyone it shouldn't be too bad and then you will be covered on emergency stuff.

we have two kiddos now and we are done. I am going to call an insurance agent and see what they recommend.

What state are you in? I own a health insurance agency, have been in the health insurance field for 17 years now. I will be happy to answer any questions you have. When you are looking at plans do not get confused in Obamacare and Obamacare compliant plans. The plans I sell with Blue Cross here in Mississippi are Obamacare compliant, but they are not Obamacare plans. By this I mean they have the required benefits as stated by the Affordable Care Act but you cannot get federal subsidy money to buy it. The plans that are Obamacare are through the Federal Marketplace or if your state has a state run Marketplace. Here in Mississippi the only plans that are truly Obamacare through the Federal Marketplace are offered by Humana and Magnolia Health. Blue Cross did not agree to offer plans through the marketplace.

I've got Blue Cross Personal Blue on my self and both my girls. Its not cheap but its top notch. My youngest is a cancer survivor and we've gotten our moneys worth out of her policy. Right now I'm paying right at $1000 per month on the three of us. I can't remember the deductible and out of pocket off hand. I will tell you it went up $200 per month once O :afro: care went into effect. I could probably find something cheaper on the exchange, but I'm not taking chances with my daughters heath history. There's no telling how much more screwed up its going to get once Obama gets out. The "fixes" sure to come will probably make it worse. Considering how much my daughters health bill have been over the past 8 years(diagnosed at 3, shes now 10), I figure I'm still ahead even if I'm paying out a lot. BTW, we've got aflac as well, my wife is super detailed and stays on top of the paper work to file, its more than paid for itself with us.

bigsilly said:
What state are you in? I own a health insurance agency, have been in the health insurance field for 17 years now. I will be happy to answer any questions you have. When you are looking at plans do not get confused in Obamacare and Obamacare compliant plans. The plans I sell with Blue Cross here in Mississippi are Obamacare compliant, but they are not Obamacare plans. By this I mean they have the required benefits as stated by the Affordable Care Act but you cannot get federal subsidy money to buy it. The plans that are Obamacare are through the Federal Marketplace or if your state has a state run Marketplace. Here in Mississippi the only plans that are truly Obamacare through the Federal Marketplace are offered by Humana and Magnolia Health. Blue Cross did not agree to offer plans through the marketplace.

I am in GA.

I've got Blue Cross Personal Blue on my self and both my girls. Its not cheap but its top notch. My youngest is a cancer survivor and we've gotten our moneys worth out of her policy. Right now I'm paying right at $1000 per month on the three of us. I can't remember the deductible and out of pocket off hand. I will tell you it went up $200 per month once O cool (read:gay) like cheapj7 care went into effect. I could probably find something cheaper on the exchange, but I'm not taking chances with my daughters heath history. There's no telling how much more screwed up its going to get once Obama gets out. The "fixes" sure to come will probably make it worse. Considering how much my daughters health bill have been over the past 8 years(diagnosed at 3, shes now 10), I figure I'm still ahead even if I'm paying out a lot. BTW, we've got aflac as well, my wife is super detailed and stays on top of the paper work to file, its more than paid for itself with us.

Wow, Glad to here that your daughter is doing good! We can get humana threw my wifes employer but it is 1100 a month with high co-pays so I was trying to find a less expensive alternative. I am fine with saving cash for medical bills but my wife is stressing out about the fine from .gov for not having any.

I have a hard time understanding how the .gov can force you to buy something and fine you if you don't. How can they tell us what we have to buy? it is ludicrous.