• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Selling a truck gone wrong.

RioYJ

i wanna go fast!
This has been worse case of sellers remorse i have ever had in my life. The low down is I put my 7.3 truck up for sale in order to purchase some equipment and things for my business. A gentleman came and test drove it and it started running rough when he returned from the test drive. He said he thinks the turbo is bad and wanted to buy it as is for a substantially lower price which I didn't want to do because there was no guarantee that was the issue. After he asked me to sell it numerous times i gave in and we agreed on a price as is and he had a roll back pick it up. After he swapped a bunch of parts and had a mechanic look at it and determined there was nothing wrong with the turbo they diagnosed it as a head gasket. After he gets the truck home from the mechanic he removes the head to find 6 and 8 pistons have some damage. Now he wants me to buy the truck back or help him financially with the purchase of a new engine which is not in the cards for me at this time. I feel bad for the guy and the situation and had i known the issue I would not have sold him the truck. Any thoughts?

I would tell him tuff ****! he knew something was wrong and wanted to buy it anyway! just because its not what he thought it was, don't give him the right to bring it back.

yep, tell him sorry, but that's how it goes. he was insisting on paying you less due to an issue it supposedly had. turns out that issue was worse than expected. his loss

RioYJ said:
This has been worse case of sellers remorse i have ever had in my life. The low down is I put my 7.3 truck up for sale in order to purchase some equipment and things for my business. A gentleman came and test drove it and it started running rough when he returned from the test drive. He said he thinks the turbo is bad and wanted to buy it as is for a substantially lower price which I didn't want to do because there was no guarantee that was the issue. After he asked me to sell it numerous times i gave in and we agreed on a price as is and he had a roll back pick it up. After he swapped a bunch of parts and had a mechanic look at it and determined there was nothing wrong with the turbo they diagnosed it as a head gasket. After he gets the truck home from the mechanic he removes the head to find 6 and 8 pistons have some damage. Now he wants me to buy the truck back or help him financially with the purchase of a new engine which is not in the cards for me at this time. I feel bad for the guy and the situation and had i known the issue I would not have sold him the truck. Any thoughts?

Right out of high school my buddy sold his 7.3 Excursion. We drove it 9 hours to Florida, mad the deal and came back. When we got home the new owner had called 20 times and said the turbo blew and he was stranded etc. etc. We bot h felt bad for the guy, but we had just driven it 500 miles and knew it was a good truck. **** happens sometimes, consider it a blessing and move on. If you give a little you are admitting fault and he will only end up wanting more from you in the end :****:

muddinmetal said:
Right out of high school my buddy sold his 7.3 Excursion. We drove it 9 hours to Florida, mad the deal and came back. When we got home the new owner had called 20 times and said the turbo blew and he was stranded etc. etc. We bot h felt bad for the guy, but we had just driven it 500 miles and knew it was a good truck. **** happens sometimes, consider it a blessing and move on. If you give a little you are admitting fault and he will only end up wanting more from you in the end :****:

This

RioYJ said:

Not fun to end up in a situation like that. I see no reason to feel the least built guilty about the whole thing. If you had an agreement that would be one thing, but you sold him a truck as is and he had high hopes that he was buying it on the cheap in order to repair it and be into it for less than he would a good running truck right? He lost, you won...kinda (he can still bug the crap outta you). Even if you bought a broke truck from a dealer and speculated on the repair they would not give you your money back or fix the truck if the repair was not what you speculated it to be. I would hate to be him but if I was I'd call it a lesson learned.

Tough.. He bought that truck thinking "awe hell its a 7.3 there probably really ain`t **** wrong with it" and called himself capitalizing on the deal. Turns out it was a major problem. You think he would have come back and gave you little more money if he would have got home and it only been a sensor or something causing it to run bad? Nope.. He would have been stoked that he got the truck for a deal and it was an easy fix. Unfortunetly for him this wasn`t one of those cases. He bought it As Is and knew it had an issue. Not your problem it was more of an issue than he planned on.

truckbroke said:
Tough.. He bought that truck thinking "awe hell its a 7.3 there probably really ain`t **** wrong with it" and called himself capitalizing on the deal. Turns out it was a major problem. You think he would have come back and gave you little more money if he would have got home and it only been a sensor or something causing it to run bad? Nope.. He would have been stoked that he got the truck for a deal and it was an easy fix. Unfortunetly for him this wasn`t one of those cases. He bought it As Is and knew it had an issue. Not your problem it was more of an issue than he planned on.
Crap! I just typed up the same thing except with a loose hose clamp.

lol... You know that's what that sucker was thinking to.. man its a 7.3 I bet its just some sensor or some ****. Hell I bet he said turbo just to make it sound bad. In his mind he probably really didn`t even think it was that.

As bad of shape as the Pistons are in that he sent me I'm pretty shocked the thing didn't have a broken valve or busted head. Pretty amazing that the thing pulled and ran as good as it did.

Id tell him a used 7.3 engine is about the cost of a new upgraded turbo so hes really not losing money its just spent on different parts, unless hes paying for the mechanic work, either way a deal is a deal and good as the men who made it and for you to feel that bad says ur a good dude, id block his number if he becomes a asshat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it was running fine and didn't start running rough until he test drove it, correct? Maybe HE caused the damage during the "test drive"? :dunno: thumb.gif

If you came down on the price and it was AS IS, it should be lesson learned for him. If it was me and wanted to fix the truck, I'd tell him there's two options, keep the truck and fix yourself or I'll buy it for x amount and not a dollar more as it needs an engine.

I'd offer to buy it back minus what a mechanic would charge to repair the truck. He will tell you to pound sand, but at least you offered to buy it back. If he calls you on it, put an engine in and put it back up for sale.

truckbroke said:
lol... You know that's what that sucker was thinking to.. man its a 7.3 I bet its just some sensor or some ****. Hell I bet he said turbo just to make it sound bad. In his mind he probably really didn`t even think it was that.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Do you think he would have called and given you the rest of the money you came off of had it been an easy fix? He rolled the dice on this one and lost. It's definitely not your problem.

I bought a truck last year and it ran perfect, well taken care of etc. I had it for 4 months, but only put about 1,000 miles on when the head gaskets blew. I would have never thought about calling the PO and asking him to help out. AS-IS when buying a used car.

He bought it with issues known. No sympathy no matter what those issues ended up being. He got a discount, didn't he?

I'd feel much worse, and have a harder time saying no to helping out if the exact same thing had happened, but he'd paid full price, and it had happened a week or even a month later. Bottom line is the same in all cases though: deal's a deal.

What ever went through that motor is bad ****, but that piston will compress air just fine.no telling how many motors out there have pistons just like that. That motor could have eat a turbo some time in the past. he could have unplugged a wire to make the truck run rough, might be carma.