• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sequential trannys

Eddyj

I'm kind of planning out a build for a street car/family cruiser and I really enjoy driving manual trans for multiple reasons. The ideal of a sequential gearbox seems like something different and cool. Problem is I'm a cheap ass and won't drip $14,000 on a tranny.
I was wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience. I've browsed through a couple of forums but haven't found a cheaper/grass roots way to do it.
2017 Selma they had a couple of shifters that turned the H pattern into a sequential but that isn't really changing the way it shifts. You still have synchros to slow your shifts down.

It would be cool In a buggy also. Just saying...

Just an idea, and you would have to have CAD knowledge to design the parts and have them machined . Take any manual that the shift forks are in a removable top cover. Design a rotating drum that has tracks for the shift forks to follow (just like a motorcycle trans). In theory, it would be easy to retrofit almost any manual like this. Build the drum and shift forks into the top cover. Or just buy an auto and put a RMVB in it and be able to shift much faster with less drivetrain breakage

Start with a T56, take 1-4 out and send to www.Libertysgears.com to have them faceplated. Then buy one of those H patern to sequential shifters like you can find at www.S1sequential.com and youre all set. I figure you could have it done for about $8k and it'd be about as close as you can get without just buying what you want.

Or option B would be a 4L80E with a nice 10" lockup stall converter and a full manual conversion that'd run you less than $4k, be faster, and handle significantly more HP. And we all know its not a streetcar unless it makes dyno proven 10,000,000hp (unfortunately nobody is ever able to find the dyno sheet and its always an off night which is why it only ran a mid 13sec 1/4 mile pass).

While I do love manual trannys :driving: and a sequential would be awesome.....the new autos like the 8 spd in my Ram 1500 are pretty damn fun. :****: