• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

setting up a 4 link

uhohhotdog151

Ok, could be a dumb question, but I'm super paranoid about doing something i dont 100% understand, and i really try to make everything near perfect my first attempt.

so i had to swap the front housing on my buggy(bought, not built. Gay i know, but it was a good deal, and ive had to redo a TON of **** on it. Plus ive built a bunch of full body rigs.) my buddy pulled the axle and cut the mounts off before i got there, so obviously he didnt take any pictures, measurements or records of any kind.
I'm confused about
1) should it be built at ride height, droop, compression or????
2) how critical is it getting the links mounts exactly the same all around? i know you can fine tune by tightening or loosening the heims.(I'm the kind of guy that will fuss for hours over 1/8" until its perfect.
3) are there any tricks that i shoud know about while setting it up? for example, would it be easier having the axle fully assemebeled and on tires?
It just seems like no matter what the axle isn't truely straight in space. I can have everything tits on, and one thing doesnt jive. so i adjust accordingly, and that throws something else off.
4)I was hoping it would be a simple swap, so i could get his thing on the trail and not have to re-engineer everything, but thats proving to not be the case. I've been doing as much research as possible, but i have a very busy schedule. and with as much bs, and false information is out there, its hard to find any really good guides. So if you guys know of any good resources, let me know please. I seem to remember there being a link suspension bible on pirate a few years back, but i cant seem to find it.

Any help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance for all responses,
Richter

any progress on you link setup? wondering how its turning out? are you building it for front or rear? i always set my links at ride height and make are there parallel with each other. uppers should be 70/75% of the length of the lowers. i block the frame with the belly height i want, put my axle were i want it; say if you were gonna push it forward 4" on a front axle. put my tires on, then i figure out how much up travel I'm gonna have with my coil overs, then mock up my shock mounts, triangulation needs to be around 40deg for a 4link upper or lower. numbers will vary with how much room you have. hope that helps.

Yup. just said fawk it on a lot of piddly stuff I was fussing over. got it put together and out a few times. seems to work pretty well for a ghetto build :cool: