• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sheared to sets of hub studs...

Mallcrawler83

Anybody shear toy hub studs? Twice this weekend:mad: First time I'll claim as stupid driving or lack of maintenance, airborne in log obstacle with rev limiter bouncing at tuff trucks, but went home, swapped hub assemblies, dumped the clutch in the mud bog shifting to second at 6k rpm, sheared the studs.:mad: I am only running 33x12.50 boggers, 5:29's welded rear and detroit lunchbox front with:puke: warn premium hub's. Should I take it easier on my truck, or are there stronger studs? Advise? thanks:beer:

Go to a stock Toyota Hub(ASIN) hub and make sure all the bolts are tight before you try that. I think you can also add a few shear pins too, or should I say replace the pins.

If you still are shearing them go to Bobby Long drive flanges and add the extra pins.

My guess is its a combo of the warn crap and not checking to make sure everything is tight.

GET RID OF THE WARNS and go Aisins (stock); They are way less prone to failure of the studs/pins by design...I type/speak from personal experience!:redneck:
Before you just swap out for some stock hubs, make sure the shear pins are tight in their holes in the wheel hub...

It happened to me 3 times. Then just like everyone is saying, ARP studs, locktite, and stock hubs. I went a little beyond that and drilled 4 more shear pins, so total of 6 pins and 6 ARP studs. I made a template (1/4in thick round piece of steel drilled to the 6 hole hub pattern) and bolted it to the locking hub and drilled it in a drill press and then did the same to the hub/rotor/bearing assyembly, Everything bolted back together nice and tight and i havent had a problem since.

And pins if your paranoid. Just remember, Its only a toy axle. It can only take soo much.

Hes only on 33's shouldnt a toy axle hold up to more than that.:puke: Just toss a jeep dana 30 under there, it should at least hold up to 33's:haha:

Bought my first toyota and it had warn's on it,same thing happened to me multiple times, put stock back on it.

I have run those hubs for years and no problems until saturday. Gonna dig through my spares and a friends for another hub and get some arp studs. Just funny though how the second set sheared right away like that. Thanks for the advise.:awesomework:

Found them at front range offroad, $69 with locknuts. Where did you guys get yours? Is this a good price?:awesomework:

if you think ARPs are gonna fix the warn hub problem, think again.

For some reason I thinkj you are OK with the hubs and are just blaming the studs for failure?

Are you intending to keep running the warns?

You need 1-cone washers, 2-nuts, 3-studs, 4-washers, 5-STOCK ASIAN HUBS

I'm putting stock hubs on, I was just wondering were to get the arp studs. Chop do you think I need arps? I have another hub with stock studs. Is front range the only place to get arps? I have been hearing warn hubs are junk, but they were on truck when I got it, and I have at least 50 trips on them no problem until saturday. Thanks for the info guys.

warn hubs are not as good as asians in the way that they are held to the hub body. but they are decent hubs i no people that have never had a problem with them.

if you are going to stick with 33in tires then you really don't need arp's just a set of asian hubs.

if you really want to beef them up some add a few more shear pins. imo much cheaper then arp's front range is were i bought mine im sure others sell them aswell..

i agree with chop shop. I have ran the same pair of stock hubs with a locker for 3 years, then put a set of warn hubs in and i blew one out the first wheelin trip

Latest posts