• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

shimmy/ death wobble

Dents

Ok heres the problem, 1976 ford f250 2wd has a shimmy in it at 45 to 60 the faster you go the more it shakes till about 58 mph then it settles down.The other half of the problem is that when you put on the brakes (not all the time about 30 to 40 percent) the truck wants to rattle apart its like the tire goes from round to egg shaped. I have replaced the front brake pads , repacked the wheel bearings.replaced the radius arm bushings but the problem seems to be getting worse. I had a guy in the lane next to me flag me down at a traffic light cause the truck was having an eppisode (sp) said ti looked like the front wheel was gonna fall off, Tonight i rechecked the wheel bearing and the lug nuts ,by the way this is all happining (sp) only on the drivers side , im lost and frustrated any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Dennis :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek:

belts in the tire might be busting loose. Happened to me once, when I stopped and looked nothing was wrong, than about two weeks later BOOM!!!

Thanks for the help , I replaced the radius arm bushings about 2 months ago, im goona have the tires rotated and balanced this weekend. I was talking to metal bender and he mentioned that it could be the brakes , has anyone ever had these kind of simptoms with disk brakes before ,cause i have not. Thanks again for the help

Dennis

yes, its very common.

when you hit the brakes...it wobbles, shimmys, shakes, dances, jumps..whatever. its the rotors...

either warped, or uneven material build up. the solution is to have them resurface, if theyre still thick enough. or replaced, if they arent.

Another vote for a tire. Had the same thing happen a few years ago on my work truck ('92 F250).

Latest posts