• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shims?

CHOP SHOP

where can a guy get some pinion shims without buying whole setup kits? I am tired of using every shim around.

Is there aplace to buy just the shims in bulk? I will buy a bunch. Anybody here have a ton of shims theyll sell?

I have tried the obvious (napa, national, McGuire, etc). Any ideas?:beer:

yha.. a diff shop... hmmm how much more obvious could that be.. lol....:fawkdancesmiley:

I tried them a year ago and was told I had to buy setup kits. I checked thier website and it listed them each for about .12cents. I called and they sold me some setup kits with no seals or bearings for cheap!:cheer:
toyota diffs never set up deepenough with the shims given for a v6 diff. Im always running short on these shims. A stack of stock pinion thick shim/spacers would be killer, instead of stacking .120 of shims. to make aftermarket gears work in all cases.:beer:

I tried them a year ago and was told I had to buy setup kits. I checked thier website and it listed them each for about .12cents. I called and they sold me some setup kits with no seals or bearings for cheap!:cheer:
toyota diffs never set up deepenough with the shims given for a v6 diff. Im always running short on these shims. A stack of stock pinion thick shim/spacers would be killer, instead of stacking .120 of shims. to make aftermarket gears work in all cases.:beer:

theres a spacer for that.....

I'll look and see if I have any.....but I think I threw a bunch away @ a month ago.....
If I got some, you can have 'em.

or if you would use the 6v gears in a v6 3rd then you wouldnt have to use so many shims LOL :kissmybutt:

they also make a solid shim not a crush shim like factory just an FYI

I wasnt talkin about the crush sleve, I was talkin about the shims to set the pinion depth, behind the large pinion bearing.

I found shims only, thanks for all the advice. I also found thrust washers in thicknesses of .030 and .080 localy. :awesomework:

or if you would use the 6v gears in a v6 3rd then you wouldnt have to use so many shims LOL :kissmybutt:

Some companies dont offer two sets, just one with two different setup kits for either 4 or 6cyl.

And alot of guys have bought thier own gears made by who knows? I also setup alot of used and strange combos out of any combo of parts in a bucket brought in!:eeek:

I just seem to use alot more shims than kits come with and would like to have shims on the shelf just in case.

So I have been hosed by randys on shims. I got my box of pinion shims. I opened the box to find 5 packages of shims about 3 inches in diameter. WTF?

These are not pinion shims, Im thinkin.:eeek: I call up randys and am told to put them behind the outer race in the housing? WTF?

Why is it so hard to get stupid toyota shims? Anyone have any shims around 1and 3/8 inches ID?:mad:

Thanks again randys for superb service.:kissmyass:

So I have been hosed by randys on shims. I got my box of pinion shims. I opened the box to find 5 packages of shims about 3 inches in diameter. WTF?

These are not pinion shims, Im thinkin.:eeek: I call up randys and am told to put them behind the outer race in the housing? WTF?

Why is it so hard to get stupid toyota shims? Anyone have any shims around 1and 3/8 inches ID?:mad:

Thanks again randys for superb service.:kissmyass:

Huh. We used to always get the complaint "What do you mean I have to press my bearing off to change shims?!?" So a bunch were moved to setting up behind the race instead.

Huh. We used to always get the complaint "What do you mean I have to press my bearing off to change shims?!?" So a bunch were moved to setting up behind the race instead.

Thats not the hot ticket. I thought I bought the super fancy randys puller kit years ago so I could change them behind the bearing just like OEM.:rolleyes:

Does anyones here use shims behind a race instead of behind the bearing on a pinion?:corn:

Does anyones here use shims behind a race instead of behind the bearing on a pinion?:corn:

That's a good one......although I have seen shims used behind the race in the case on some HEAVY equipment.

I did find a few shims if ya still need some.

Thats not the hot ticket. I thought I bought the super fancy randys puller kit years ago so I could change them behind the bearing just like OEM.:rolleyes:

Brad, what's the difference??? The end result's the same....:corn: I'm not saying I shim the race, just wondering why 'that's not the hot ticket'???:corn:

Latest posts