• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shock oil?

POTTSY 79

I'm getting ready to put my shocks in service... They are 2.5" body racerunners (18" travel)... Just curious what kind of oil do you guys use... I also have fox 2.0 (16" travel) in the rear.... One set is new and other is used... I plan on draining all the oil out and start from scratch.... Any suggestions on how much oil and what kind would be greatly appreciated... Thanks for your time....not sure if this matters or not but they are going on a Toyota 4 runner with 60's and tsl sx's...

Re: Shock oil?

Brian potts said:
I'm getting ready to put my shocks in service... They are 2.5" body racerunners (18" travel)... Just curious what kind of oil do you guys use... I also have fox 2.0 (16" travel) in the rear.... One set is new and other is used... I plan on draining all the oil out and start from scratch.... Any suggestions on how much oil and what kind would be greatly appreciated... Thanks for your time....not sure if this matters or not but they are going on a Toyota 4 runner with 60's and tsl sx's...

You can run shock oil.

Aw-32 hydraulic oil is identical to most shock oils minus the dye.

Dexron 3 mercon trans fluid is nearly identical to aw-32 hydraulic oil and shock oil, but has dye and some detergents.

Both hydraulic fluid and dex3 are much cheaper than shock oil.

You can find the charts for oil amounts online. Are they emulsions or remote reservoir?

They are emulsions... Thanks for your reply... I already have the trans fluid and the hydraulic fluid here in the shop.... You have helped me out a lot... Thanks again

Brian potts said:
They are emulsions... Thanks for your reply... I already have the trans fluid and the hydraulic fluid here in the shop.... You have helped me out a lot... Thanks again

No problem

These should help. 2.0 fox and 2.5 saw charts

2e9d7ecfd459af29b7d06ee4db96b364.jpg

9e668a9c0074eed349fb99e07cc920be.jpg

I've used whatever King, Bilstein and Fox slap their label on. I've tried hydraulic oil and didn't care for it. Currently using Maxima 85-150 5WT fork oil, been happy with it and can get it from the local atv shop.

I've used 5606 aviation spec hydraulic fluid.

it has a higher viscosity index (more viscosity stable) than "normal" hydraulic fluid, good anti-foam characteristics.

it's usually about $30/gallon

I tried the hydraulic oil in my jeep,when we where running Ecors. After 1 hour the shocks completely quit working. The where so hot it melted the stickers off,but when i dumped it out my shocks where cleaner looking inside than ever before. Wide Open Design carries several brands of shock oil. It is not that expensive to buy a gallon. It might never matter just trail riding.

Aw-32 and dex3merc are nearly identical viscosity cold and hot as fox Jm-92(or whatever) newer oil. Swayaway 7w is slightly different weight, but doubtful that difference can be felt in the rig.

No argueing with above statements at all,

The brand oil, for that brand shock is always the best*, just pointing out the similarities.