• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shop air lines

constant pressure

Fixing to start running my air lines in my new shop was wondering what people are using. I was planning on using PVC but a lot of people seem to think its a bad idea any suggestions?

PVC sucks. I've replaced several feet of it in our shop where it just splits and starts leaking. Steel pipe will last longer than you or I will, but will cost a lot more than PVC. How much do you have to install?

I ran about 100ft of PVC in my attic and in the walls for airlines, insulated around them and have had no problems.

Garage Journal thinks PVC is the devil. I have my shop done with it for 10 years and never had a problem. I understand when it breaks, it can shard and hurt you.

My shop air has been plumbed with pvc for 20 years with no issues other than a few small leaks over the years.

The problems we have had with PVC is the glue breaks down over time bc of the oils and you will get leaks I would suggest pex piping it is easy to install and is flexible cost of the tubing is cheap but the fittings can get pricey if you by them from lowes or Home Depot I would suggest local plumbing store I have done 3 shops in pex and no leaks and been going strong for over 6 years no problems

Let me take a step back, the shop I work at has pipe and PVC. It is about 20-25 years old, has between 175-200 psi for 10 hours a day on it and the PVC is starting to break down and leak in a coupla places. All that being said, I still don't care for it as an air line.

I am no plumber, but there are multiple types of PCV, not all are meant for pressure.

My shop is all plumbed with metal gas pipe. It's about 20yrs old, no leaks, no problems.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

pvc is really meant to be underground, that said i have a few hundred feet of airline that is pvc in my shop. more like over a thousand feet. Rarely has problems, just make sure it is supported well. If it does blow somewhere, dozens of tiny pvc daggers will go flying every direction.

We have a drain line from the bottom of our tanks to a ball valve that drains in the sink. Works great with all the air lines running up above the compressor.