• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shop/garage heat

NotMatt

What are you guys using? I'm rethinking the wood stove idea... after looking at the cost for all the parts I need to "do it right", I'm looking at the cost of a decent kerosene or propane heater. Next summer the plan is to insulate and rewire the garage and put in a new sub panel, so at that point I will put in a nice electric heater... but for now it would be nice to have something portable to heat it up quick with, but not keep it warm all the time.

Anybody got any thoughts? How many BTU's do I need to heat up a standard 8 foot ceiling 25x25 garage? I'm not looking for it to be roasting hot, but 65 degrees would be nice....

And yes, I realize that a kerosene heater will require some ventilation.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your having second thoughts on the wood stove.

I vote for propane. My house is heated with a 45,000 btu gas furnace converted to propane. House measures 1500 square feet. It dosen't take a big furnace.

One big problem to watch out for: If you use a portable kerosene, propane or turbine heater the exhaust gas gives off a ton of water vapor. When you quit for the night and shut off the heat, the air cools and the water condenses out and on to everything in the shop. Your tool box will be wet inside and out, any machine tool bases will corrode badly. I've seen it so bad it literally looked like my toolbox was washed down in and out.

The air is dryer on the east side; maybe you won't have as big of problem.

Sorry to hear your having second thoughts on the wood stove.

I vote for propane. My house is heated with a 45,000 btu gas furnace converted to propane. House measures 1500 square feet. It dosen't take a big furnace.

One big problem to watch out for: If you use a portable kerosene, propane or turbine heater the exhaust gas gives off a ton of water vapor. When you quit for the night and shut off the heat, the air cools and the water condenses out and on to everything in the shop. Your tool box will be wet inside and out, any machine tool bases will corrode badly. I've seen it so bad it literally looked like my toolbox was washed down in and out.

The air is dryer on the east side; maybe you won't have as big of problem.

Interesting on the moisture thing. We do have pretty dry winters over here, and I would think with good ventilation it should be ok, but something to keep in mind I guess.

I've got a 24x30, and heat it with both kerosene and propane. The kerosene takes too long to warm up a cold garage, and the propane (forced air, torpedo type) is just too loud, but heats up the garage (roasting) in about 10 minutes. So I usually use the propane to heat it up, or bake paint :redneck: , and the kerosene to keep it warm. I'd really like to get a woodstove though, for cost.

Get a 75k to 125K Propane torpedo heater & get it warmed up quickly,while building a fire to maintain the heat & also dry said moisture that accumulates from propane...best of both IMO...

Well, there's a guy on craigslist here with a 23,000 BTU kerosene unit for 35 bucks. I'll give it a shot. Lowes has some nice ventless 30k btu propane units for 199 bucks, needs a 100lb min. tank though. This is a temporary solution, so I don't want to go buying a bunch of propane tanks and junk when I'm just going to convert to 220v electric heaters next year. Power is cheap over here... I haven't broken 50 bucks on the power bill yet, even with electric as the only source of heat so far in the house (haven't used the fireplace yet). I just don't have the funds to do all the necessary wiring and insulation yet to get the electric heat going for this winter.

Well, there's a guy on craigslist here with a 23,000 BTU kerosene unit for 35 bucks. I'll give it a shot. Lowes has some nice ventless 30k btu propane units for 199 bucks, needs a 100lb min. tank though. This is a temporary solution, so I don't want to go buying a bunch of propane tanks and junk when I'm just going to convert to 220v electric heaters next year. Power is cheap over here... I haven't broken 50 bucks on the power bill yet, even with electric as the only source of heat so far in the house (haven't used the fireplace yet). I just don't have the funds to do all the necessary wiring and insulation yet to get the electric heat going for this winter.

I run a 125K btu heater on a 20lb bbq tank, just need to fill more often.:redneck: My shop's ventilated enough:redneck: , moisture is not an issue (except for the leak in the roof where P.O. booty fabbed a 'skylight':; ; I'm not sure a 23K will be enough, but for the $ what the hell...worth a shot!

I have a propane heater and I get the condensation problem. It does make your tools wet if you run it for a while. I would guess more than an hour. I am going to put in electric heat too, was hoping to have it done before winter but it isn't looking like I'll make it.

I've got a 24x30, and heat it with both kerosene and propane. The kerosene takes too long to warm up a cold garage, and the propane (forced air, torpedo type) is just too loud, but heats up the garage (roasting) in about 10 minutes. So I usually use the propane to heat it up, or bake paint :redneck: , and the kerosene to keep it warm. I'd really like to get a woodstove though, for cost.

exactly the way I heat mine for now. I just leave the garage door open about halfway for ventilation with the propane

i have a pretty ghetto set up , a tiger torch zap strapped across the top of a 20lb propane bottle . it heats my 30x40 shop nicely for about 40 hours

there is a old ceiling fan that pushes the heat around and back down towards the floor .
i find that there is minimal condensation in the shop (im sure that it be because the shop is well insulated and maybe the fan too)

my compliant is the co2 that it puts off:puke:

I tore down an old mobile home and kept the furnace. put said furnace about 8 feet up on a shelf, = presto flip switch, have heat without eating up floor space like a wood stive.

Well I picked up the kerosene one and have it going in the garage now... had it going for about 30 minutes now and it certainly takes the edge off in this weather so far on about medium setting... we'll see how it does when the temps get lower.

I think I'm still going to install the wood stove... just use a different method for the chimney since it's not going to be permanent. Don't want to burn the garage down though. We'll see.

I tore down an old mobile home and kept the furnace. put said furnace about 8 feet up on a shelf, = presto flip switch, have heat without eating up floor space like a wood stive.

Thats a cool idea. Is it gas or electric furnace? Can it be mounted vertically or horizontally? I'm about to tear down an old mobile, might snag the furnace for my shop. Wood stove is awesome but sometimes too much work, flippin a switch would be way easier.

I used to do the propane thing with a 50,000-85,000 btu potable jobby, but 2 years ago finally got my wood stove going and what a differance no noise and I mean noisey and good consistant heat not to meantion the condensation from propane, I can paint in the garage now oh ya 25x48 floor space

Thats a cool idea. Is it gas or electric furnace? Can it be mounted vertically or horizontally? I'm about to tear down an old mobile, might snag the furnace for my shop. Wood stove is awesome but sometimes too much work, flippin a switch would be way easier.

mine is vertical, and electric.

This is the heatilator in Brads shop...

Works GREAT!!!

Heatilator_Additions_4_.JPG

Heatilator_Additions_1_.JPG

Heatilator_Additions_5_.JPG

Heatilator_Additions_3_.JPG

Heatilator_Additions_6_.JPG

Yeah, it gets hot...

Heatilator_Additions.JPG