• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shop heat!?!!

Haulin4alivin

Ok guys I've done some searching and I'm still in the air on what I want. I've got a 50x55 shop with 14' walls. It's spray foam insulated. I can't stand wood burning stoves because they kill my sinuses and I don't have near enough used oil to have a oil burner. And honestly don't have the room to store the oil. I know those are the best 2 options. So what's the 3rd best lol?

Infrared.

30% savings on gas bill vs the old forced air heaters. Not to mention no noise.

I've got a 350,000 BTU forced air multi-fuel that I got a good deal on in a surplus auction at the plant I work at. It's rated for 8,000 sq. ft. It heats my 30x45 shop in just a few minutes. That sucker is huge though.

I have infrared for my 16x24. Walls are the only insulation I have, the ceiling is not complete but has stuff stored above it. I run 3 burners for 30mins before trying to work when its freezing outside. Planning to at least seal the ceiling and it will help with the heating loss. Also plan on getting foam board to put in the roll up. I can leave the door up and run a kerosene jet engine looking heater( not sure of name) and it stays warm.

In floor heat, with outside wood boiler. Doesn't affect my insurance at all, put a thermostat and a mixing valve in and you'll never be disappointed!

Ok so I'm starting to lean towards the infrared heaters. I'll have to run it off propane which I don't see being a problem? I also like the idea of having a thermostat. So now next question.... Where's the best place to buy??

1226140821.jpg

I've got 11,000 sq ft (6,000 of that has 27' high ceilings) and 13 of these heaters. The heat is even all through the shop and even if we open the door to get a truck in, we don't lose heat like with the forced air heaters. Everything in the shop is warm to the touch too. I worked with forced air for several years, huge difference.

Just got our gas bill for the month and our 11,000 sq ft was $275 cheaper than the next door neighbors 8,000 sq ft with forced air.

bradzuki said:
1226140821.jpg

I've got 11,000 sq ft (6,000 of that has 27' high ceilings) and 13 of these heaters. The heat is even all through the shop and even if we open the door to get a truck in, we don't lose heat like with the forced air heaters. Everything in the shop is warm to the touch too. I worked with forced air for several years, huge difference.

Just got our gas bill for the month and our 11,000 sq ft was $275 cheaper than the next door neighbors 8,000 sq ft with forced air.
How bad do those eat your electric bill?

Sent from the mans IPhone.

Re:

I've always seen good deals here.
http://m.northerntool.com/categories/shop~tools~category_heaters-stoves-fireplaces

Or craigslist.

Our electric bill was a joke. Literally the same as my home. We work 6-7 days a week so the lights had me worried. It has been warmer this year but still thought the gas bill would be higher. My neighbor is going to order some since seeing our gas bill.