• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shop tools vs trail tools.

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
I don't have any money. So the entire selection of tools right now is just that. When I go on the trail, all my tools come with.

(For those that don't know, ALL my tools were stolen about a year ago).

Anywho, what tools do you bring on the trail with you? Everything you could think of breaking and then some?

I've been in situations where my tools saved the day, and also been in situations where if we had the right tool for the job, we would be on our way in a quickness.

Some of the people I wheel with, bring thier crappiest no good tools, and some bring thier finest only what they need for thier rig tools.

Which one are you?

Well i havent takin my cruiser out yet, but with my 4runner, i would take any tool i ever used in the garage on it then some. And i always brought good quality ones. i dont want no cheap harbor freight **** breakin on me when i'm already in a fawked situation.

I am lucky enough to have a decent set of tools for both the shop and the rig. As to what is in the rig, I have a few more things than what I really need to work on my rig. The nice thing about that is if someone else needs one of the not so common things then I can help and everyone can continue wheeling.

Wyfndr

I picked up a pretty decent set of cheap/inexpensive tools for the trail. Sockets from HF, an old set of SK wrenches I wasn't using, some screw drivers I scrounged up, and some miscellanious stuff from pawn shops, all crammed into a HF tool bag. I probly have $150 into them. I also carry impact guns, brake cleaner, WD-40, and some rags in the bag.

My real issue is spare parts. None on the trail.

I ran into a guy that was carrying a full set of snap-on stuff at Nachees. He even let a complete stranger use some of them (me)!!! Insane...

All my high dolar mac/snap-on tools stay in the shop. I have a mix of craftsman/husky:haha: tools that stay in my aincent toolbox straped in the bed of my truck. Now Brady, on the other hand, has a matco bag with mac tools and a snap-on impact that he wipes with cormwell rags in his wheeler.:rolleyes:

My good "set" is at home, my "old, crappy, parts store special because I lost that socket and need it NOW" tools are in a "Gatemouth" bag in my rig. And by "in" I mean, thrown in with no thought to organization. I'm not good at keeping things like that organized and in order, so I throw them all in there and figure if I REALLY REALLY need it, I can dump the bag out on a tarp and find what I need.

I'm horrible with my tools... I lose them, throw them all in one drawer in the toolbox, put them away dirty, etc... that's why I own all craftsman stuff... it's cheap to replace when I leave a socket or two in a parts rig and it gets hauled off to scrap. If I was ever going to make my living doing automotive work, I would step up... but for my use, the craftsman stuff works good.

As a side note, I bought my Wrangler from the local Matco salesman/truck guy and he offered me a deal I almost couldn't pass up on a pretty nice basic setup including a new toolbox and everything... but I spent all my money on the rig so I couldn't take him up on it. :redneck:

i've got a box of miscellaneous tools in my yellow bucket. i've found that even in my own driveway(parents garage is full of mom's junk) the most useful tools i have are a crescent wrench, hammer, punch, screwdriver and a socket set.

Well, I'm in the crowd of all tools I have are in my rig when I wheel since I don't have a shop of my own, nor do I have the $$$ to get some high quality tools just for the shop.

I have a selection of stuff from Craftsman/husky whatever parts store had of Sockets/wrenches, air impact gun/socket, screw drivers (but not the nifty long ones you have)..

I obviously still need some tools too that Rudi lent me that night we fixed my t-case..

a nice 1/2" breaker bar with some long ass extentions did the job perfectly for getting that front yoke off.

Otherwise, I have to drop the belly pan to do get in there..

As all of you know, it's very important to have the right tool for the job on hand.. makes a huge difference in time to get-r-done.

I recently decided I didnt like hauling what seemed like all my tools with me... So I went throught them, and really decided what I needed offroad and what I would never use. I also like saving space and weight so I ended up with a lighter and less 'packed to the raffters' toolbox. I went and bought some crap duplicate tools of the ones I most use and got a little plastic crafsman box to store my 'trail set' in. I try to stay pretty organized with my tools so I can easily find stuff and I'm not loosing them all the time. I was lucky enough to get a set of other crap tools from my grandpa who owned a chevron service station, so I didnt have a problem finding beat up screwdrivers or the occasional wrench.

I have one set of tools with some duplicates here and there. I bring everything i think i will need for trail fixes. No impact guns and/or other power tool although I'm thinking about buying one of those battery powered impact guns... I went and bought a pretty durable tool bag to hold the stuff in and cram behind the seat.

I usually carry it all, metric, standard and a ton of nuts, bolt, extra heims, hoses, belts, chains. Everything but the kitchen sink. I've got two large rocket ammo cans on the back and there both full. Its been my experience that you always need the one thing that you left at home.

I went out an bought a junker set of craftsman **** for like $200. Thats the wheelin tools. My goo tools like snap-on, mac, matco stay at home. Got to much money into them to loose them on the trail. I do carry my snap-on 3/8 cordless impact with me though since I dont have OBA yet. The Craftsman set pretty much has mainly what all you need plus I carry a few other little things with me too.

I just wheel with Gibby, his 4runner is set up like a service truck, on-board welder and everything. That way I just need to bring my lunch. :cheer: :cheer:

Vise grips (real ones), hammer, baling wire, various screwdrivers, battery clamps and a chunk of battery cable (had to use it more than once), emergency tow lights, tow bar, spare battery, spare fuel in a portable tank with line, Hope to have my compressor swapped for onboard air cuz I have a cheapo airgun (CP) and hose with enough sockets and wrenches to rebuild most American engines or carbs on the trail.
One thing I haven't seen before is a rad "plug" that uses a kit for mounting a trans cooler and some hardening putty (JB weld or similar) to "patch" both sides of a leak and hold the sealant in place till it hardens. (trail fix)
I pack water too (drinkable/sterile just in case) and run no antifreeze in case I punch the cooling system. Also heater hose joiners (cuz you just never know) and clamps. rechargeable screwdriver is nice too. I really miss my old B&D chargeable rachet!

i've taken a few cherokee's aparts, and worked on them alot, its rig specific. i carry about every socket size known to man in my tool bag, all sizes of open end box wrenches, locktite, vice grips, 4 different ratchets, a set of torx bits, my 2 lb sledge, snap ring pliars set, needle nose pliars (2 sets) hi lift, 2 tow straps, a spare tire, tire chains, bottle jack, extra serpantine belt, crimpers, extra rubber hose for my intake to throttle body junction, WD40, all kinds of other stuff, jammed in every nook and cranny. i bring my good tools with me, out of my garage, and return them there when i get off the trail. :D

thought I would bring this one back cause I am gathering the bits and peices I will need to carry in the Secret Squirrel....

How do you guys maximize you space usage? I am limited and may not carry any tools other than needed for my rig.

thought I would bring this one back cause I am gathering the bits and peices I will need to carry in the Secret Squirrel....

How do you guys maximize you space usage? I am limited and may not carry any tools other than needed for my rig.

that all depends on what you put yuor tools in, for your situation you will have to get creative and try and cram as many tools as you can into a small space

MY good stuff (Snappy/ Mac/Matco) stays in the shop at work--> I've got a good selection of various brands at my home shop, which stays there.As for the trail box I carry craftsman, husky, whatever--as long as I have what I need to fix what broke, plus a few extras in case someone needs something; there are some I wheel with that don't bring anything, and that pisses me off 'cause they're always breaking:mad: :mad: , and don't have a clue how to fix it; I've got to break out my stuff & get 'em fixed--won't leave anyone behind. Mind you, there are those that come prepared, and are missing a couple things, which I don't mind at all!!!that's part of wheelin'!! Agood base set of Craftsman tools goes a long way for a good price, or scour the local pawn shops-can sometimes find good tools for cheap!!!:D

Well, my budget is just craftsman.. so I just put together a small kit out of my existing tools with the basics (crescent wrenches, channel locks, vise grips, standard and phillips drivers..) And then the specific stuff for my rig for common stuff I might have to do to it (torx and 12mm for the drive shaft bolts, 1 1/8" for the coil retainer and radius arm nuts, 18mm for the other large fasteners.) and a few common wrench sizes used on my rig. I've only had to barrow a tool from someone else once or twice, and that tool got added to the kit before I went out the next time.

I stick the tool bag in a rubber maid tote with oils, spare belt, hubs, and a few other misc small spare things.