• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Silly Jeep question of the day

slidillon

I am thinking of adding a body lift (1-2") on my TJ. I am currently running 33" tires with a RE 2" spring spacer lift and want to put on some quick disconnects.

I guess the question is, would I be better off going with the disconnects for better flex, or should I switch to "35 tires with the extra space and keep the suspension the way it is? I have the stock D30 up front and don't see upgrading that in the budget any time soon. Obviously, the disconnects are a lot cheaper than a new set of 35's too.

Watcha think?

disconects by all means your d-30 will not like the 35s and your rear axle will hate them to

pokey said:
disconects by all means your d-30 will not like the 35s and your rear axle will hate them to

I knew the D30 would not hold up to 35's very well, but I got a D44 in the rear. I think it would be OK for the most part.

think about what size tires the jeep was made for. The 35s are almost twice the weight and mass of the stockers. You will have axle / brake/ ujoint/ball joint ect ect issues with a 35" tire if you wheel it at all. Unfortunatly these parts will fail in the worst possible place and time:booo:

mumblewood said:
There's a few guys in my club that run 35's with a D30. None of them are locked up front and haven't had any problems.

I think that makes a difference. I am locked up front which usually leads to more possibility of breakage with a weaker axle.

I know a few that get away with running 35s on a D30. 760x shafts will make a difference, you'll just eat parts faster than a stocker

In all my glorious or not so glorious time wheeling, I have NEVER broken a d 30 shaft (760's with the spicer u-joints fully welded in) but that's just me. I beat my Jeep like a red headed step child. I broke a Detroit once, but no shafts. :wtf:

IMHO, do a body lift and put some bigger tires on there, carry spare axle shafts. It is the best, cheapest way to go if you want big tires now. Even if you do break a shaft, if you are savvy with a 13mm wrench, you can have a new shaft in there in less than 30 minutes, ON THE TRAIL. You can always save money to go to a bigger front axle later. I've been running a 3 inch body lift for 7 years now, and will never take it off. Sure, it's a cheap fix to get bigger tires, but it also comes in handy when squeezing tools in tight spaces. For instance, replacing your power steering box takes about 10 minutes with a body lift, about an hour without one, due to clearances and ease of getting tools in there. Another benny of the body lift, is you can get a FLAT belly pan and push your drivetrain up in the rig farther for more clearance.

Quick disconnects should be one of the first things to do if you really wanna wheel and flex your Jeep out. You can take a look at some of the home brew ones, and make your own for about $10 or you can buy some from a manufacturer for more money. (I have the JKS quicker discos and I LOVE them 4 years with no problems at all.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the in-depth answer, Karl. I think I will add the disconnects and a 2" lift for now and when my tires need replacing move up to 35's then. Maybe between then and now I can figure out how to pay for a stronger axle.

I'm waaaaay to lazy to want to actually fix my rig on the trail. I'm sure it's inevitable, but I will do anything I can to prevent it. Even if that means sticking with 33's for now.

KarlVP said:
In all my glorious or not so glorious time wheeling, I have NEVER broken a d 30 shaft (760's with the spicer u-joints fully welded in) but that's just me. I beat my Jeep like a red headed step child. I broke a Detroit once, but no shafts. :wtf:

IMHO, do a body lift and put some bigger tires on there, carry spare axle shafts. It is the best, cheapest way to go if you want big tires now. Even if you do break a shaft, if you are savvy with a 13mm wrench, you can have a new shaft in there in less than 30 minutes, ON THE TRAIL. You can always save money to go to a bigger front axle later. I've been running a 3 inch body lift for 7 years now, and will never take it off. Sure, it's a cheap fix to get bigger tires, but it also comes in handy when squeezing tools in tight spaces. For instance, replacing your power steering box takes about 10 minutes with a body lift, about an hour without one, due to clearances and ease of getting tools in there. Another benny of the body lift, is you can get a FLAT belly pan and push your drivetrain up in the rig farther for more clearance.

Quick disconnects should be one of the first things to do if you really wanna wheel and flex your Jeep out. You can take a look at some of the home brew ones, and make your own for about $10 or you can buy some from a manufacturer for more money. (I have the JKS quicker discos and I LOVE them 4 years with no problems at all.)
not 1 broken shaft but the housings sure do like to bend

35"s are about the limit for a D30, you should upgrade to some better shafts like folks have said before.

And realistiacly a front locker should make your axle shafts last longer. Since it's locked you should be able to get thru opbstacles with less crazy wheel spin as compared to being open.

Latest posts