• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Single Ended Rams/Full Hydro.

SPOA87YJ

coo-whip
I'll have to make this short and sweet since I'm in class but I"m planning on getting rid of my assist set up and going full hydro. Originally I was gonna go with a double ended ram, but due to packaging reasons I'm heavily considering a single ended ram w/ Tie rod. Rig is a Yj leafs up front, HP60, 42s, stock 4.0l with stock pump. I know Matt is running single ended on his buggy but I'm looking for feedback from some more of the single ended guys. I drive on the street ALOT in the summer. I've heard the single ended will be slower in response due to push/pull forces but what are you guys actually experiencing on the trail/road who run this set up? Also, what part # orbitals and rams would work best for my set up. 2.25 bore, 2.5 bore...looking at an 8" stroke with maybe 3.5 turns lock to lock. Any other input suggestions are appreciated!

Pic of rig...

I think a single ended ram is fine. You have more turns one way than the other and the wheel never centers, but it really is a great setup if packaging is a concern. If you were going to race, especially long distances, I would opt for a DE ram for a better feel. Get a 2.25 or 2.5" bore, usually the bigger the better. 3-4 turns lock to lock is a great place to be IMO.

Street driving full hydrio systems seems to be all in the orbital.. I'm not sure as I have one of teh pre-knowledge million turn lock to lock units. ::)

i had the single end ram on my rockwell rig with a fork truck orb.
SCARY AS **** on the road (never got over 30 mph)
dont cheap out on the orb. get a good one !

Yea definitely not planning on doing this cheap nor do I plan to race. Did you run your single ended ram in Cali Matt? I can't remember? I want it done once and I want it done right whether that leaves me with a single ended or dual. Pretty sure I could get a dual ended ram to fit it would just be pretty tight. I've tried to keep it low with the leaf springs. All I need to buy is an orbital and ram, as I have access to everything else. I think I'll just call PSC and see what they recommend for my application?

EDIT: Called PSC got the info. I needed. Sounds like if I go with a single ended I def. will need their pump as mine will be emptied by the ram. With a dual ended cylinder it will survive as there is no emptying/filling but will just be slower. He suggested a 125 orbital valve with a double ended or a 160 with a single ended cylinder(2.5x8).

Yeah I ran the SE ram at KOH. It was great aside from my orbital being 6 turns to lock. I upgraded that and it is much better and 3.5 turns and load reactive. My old orbital was non-reactive forklift style, which is great at slow speed crawling because the wheel stays turned where you point it. For high speed and road driving the load-reactive orbital are much better because they have a return to center feel to them. Can't go wrong with PSC for orbital and ram. All their orbitals are load reactive, mine is the 2nd fastest unit they make. My ram is 2.5" bore. They can tell your turn to turns when spec'ing at a system.

Yea i do remember you telling me about the orbital now. Are you running your stock pump, or a PSC one?

With a single ended ram it will always be faster one way than the other. :****:

SPOA87YJ said:
Yea i do remember you telling me about the orbital now. Are you running your stock pump, or a PSC one?

PSC TC Pump, 2.5x8" Ram, Load Reactive Orb, Biggest Ressy they Make, Howe Cooler

Yea I would be 3.5 turns one way 4 the other....pump would determine my speed. I'm gonna think on it, and will report back.

Thanks for the replies.

Couple more questions, has anyone ever used trail gears full hydro stuff. Looks like quality stuff, and they are expanding from just toyota stuff to 8 and 10 inch rams. Prices are a good bit cheaper than PSC, and their stuff has been thoroughly tested in KOH. This would be a ram and orbital from trailgear on top of a PSC pump and cooler. Looking at their DE rams, they are using 4 clamps with a machining into the ram so the ram cannot move. Looks very similar to Howe's stuff. Thoughts?

i just bought a full hydro kit. i saw the TG kit too but like you said before, you wanted something you could put on and forget it. do yourself a favor and buy a psc or howe kit. steering is what they do.

i hooked up my kit just like psc said and have had 0 issues so far.

I saw the Trail Gear stuff. I have buddies that are Yota guys that swear by them, so I think it will be fine. Howe is way overpriced, good stuff but VERY expensive. I think for most folks PSC will be perfect, and they have run specials sometimes on full kits.

That's what we run now, psc hydro assist kit. They've taken care of us in the past while competing. Just looking around at all the options. PSC is a great company that stands behind their stuff.

I'ma dealer for Performance offroad systems and I can meet or beet PSC's prices on everything but the rams

I run a single ended 8" psc ram 3.5 lock to lock orbital and an agr pump and mine is good so far up to about 65 tranny still isnt working right or I would run it up to 90 or 100. But so far steering is working great just need a bigger cooler. Ron Davis here I come again. Matt the owner of agr is a great guy even though he doesnt sell full hydro he can hook you up with part numbers and a badass pump. I will be running his brand new badass pump when I head out to koh.

I will be doing a full write up on a new PSC Pump shortly. They are making it and should be done soon. This pump is going to be awesome. I am running 2 of the 8" x 2.5 single ended rams. New PSC Pump and Reservoir. I imagine I will get a 3.5 lock to lock orbital as well. My rear steer valve is the one that is bulky from PSC. But they have the least issues with those. Whatever you go with get a good oil cooler.

yota guy here - I do everything in my power to not run trail gear stuff

poor quality control
poor customer service
poor business ethics

But cheap

You get what you pay for

OEM toyota won't let you down