• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Single Seat Buggy- Atlas upgrade and install

zayne2427

There's only one way to find out
Guess i will help keep with the New Hardline and post some Tech pics from this past fall project.
After blowing a head gasket in my turbo'd 4.3, I had my engine completely rebuilt bottom up with a few upgrades last January. The old toyota tcase didn't like the new power and lasted less than 2 rides so i decided to upgrade to an Atlas.
A good buddy of mine Mo (Rokcrler) and Josh helped me with the install AKA did most everything while i drank beer, used the grinder, lil welding in spots where noone can see, and handed him tools. Anyways here are a few pics and couldn't be more happy with the way it turned out.

Out with the old

In with the New

being a single seater there wasn't much room between the frame rails, thought i was gona puke when mo picked up the sawzall and then the Plasma

no turning back now

Mo got the new crossmember built, atlas in place and started mocking up to brace everything back up

decided to use the TMR customs tail shaft mount . Mo decided to hang it from the top instead of bottom for ease of removal if the atlas ever has to come out .It turned out really nice

Atlas is in and mounted so we (Mo) started working on bracing and supporting the frame

Mo did an awesome job tying everything together and adding the dimpled sides. Looks like it was originally built this way. And of course did both sides to match

While we were upgrading and relocating we decided to ditch the Kirkey seat, lower the seat base and installed a Big Boy Corbeau Baja Ultra extra wide Seat and relocated my rear steer valve closer to my trans shifter. Bent the Tcase shifters so they land directly between my legs in the front center of my seat where it is easy to reach strapped in. Cut out the old battery box and welded in a new box lower to make some extra room. Also installed a set of PRP padded harnesses with quick release straps.

moved the go pedal forward to allow for more leg room and made a cool new dimpled joint for it

My lil man came to help this day

New front driveshaft time. Upgraded to all 1350 stuff. Also changed out my old wore out pillow block to a nice carrier bearing from Ryan AKA He-Man Machine. Don't have any pics of it. But, had to use a narrow mid shaft to clear my trans pan so went to local steel supplier and got some thick wall DOM and had the inside turned down to fit my yoke and the carrier bearing, also a thick wall front shaft turned down to fit my new yokes.

Finished product

even have plenty of headroom with the new suspension seat since we lowered the seat base.

Wiring and relays cleaned up

Mo also helped fixed a few other small thing while he had it. We lowered the steering resevoir down to keep out of harms way. He completely rebuilt my kingpins in my rear axle, we relocated the trans cooler/fan from behind my head to the rear of the buggy and also cleaned up and labeled a lot of the wiring when wiring in a new fan relay and new rock lights. Also installed 2- 4.5 " Round lights on the front from Redneck Lights

Re: Single Seat Buggy- Atlas upgrade

Turned out nice Zayne, and Mo you did ok I suppose.....I keed....Good job :dblthumb:

bamatoy said:
Turned out nice Zayne, and Mo you did ok I suppose.....I keed....Good job :dblthumb:
Thanks i am very pleased with it. Thanks for the seat as well.

Great job Mo!

Congrats on the upgrades Zayne, I know you gotta be loving that seat over the Kirkey :****:

B.DRAKE said:
Great job Mo!

Congrats on the upgrades Zayne, I know you gotta be loving that seat over the Kirkey :****:
nhl_bullitt said:
I love this buggy. Did you and your friends do the initial build?

We did not build it. A guy by the name of David around Chattanooga originally built it

Thanks Bradley, Yeah the Corbeau is much more comfortable than the old kirkey

815219f8dfbd1412dda34bc7a2da4193.jpg
R.I.P. creeper......

yeah i noticed that the poor ole creeper is in about 1/2 of the pics i uploaded

I had a CJ grill that i cut down that i was going to put on it but it looked better on the Badlands Wasp buggy. Would still like to put some kind of grill or expanded metal in front of the radiator to change up the front of the buggy

Here is a old pic from the front of the buggy. Looking for suggestions on something to put behind the lights and in front of the top section of the radiator to change to look up a little

Some cool pointy designed tube would be an easy fill for the area and not look gay. Just don't make it gay. :flipoff1:

I sure do like this little buggy

Bet it's a blast to drive

When you replacing your dented tube :dunno:

Ready to see that Atlas get a 6 cylinder beating :****:

Mo almost did it while it was there but we ended up moving on to something else. I'll get it done one day, but I don't beat on it hard enough to really worry about it. If I start cutting tubes off I probably wouldn't stop and want to turn it into a 2 seater. But after about $6k in an engine build, atlas install, driveshafts, axle upgrade, other miscellanous new parts and cutting a brand new BFG sticky all in the same year, itll have to stay like it is. she should be ready for some hopefully trouble free riding this year though

Re:

Ive always liked this rig. Glad to see you posting updates on it. And its sure nice to see some tech back on Hardline.

Drew Pate
Cordova Al

Yeah. It has been for sale since the day I got it and still is for sale. Everything I own is Always for sale though. I think I have a problem