• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

small suv tow rig....

S10slayer

I was looking at the 2001-2004 jeep grand cherokee for a tow rig/daily driver, the ranger will be on a trailer by spring. All I've heard is bad things about the v8, anyone have other opinions?
Suresh

ps. and no I won't build the crap out of the tow rig lol

I tow with my 97 ZJ. I highly reccomend a Weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway device. Take it slow and keep the tranny out of overdrive if you feel it hunting for gears going up grades.

That being said, it tows just fine. The V8 pulls up the major mountain passes (grants pass, stevens pass) but on the curvy mountain roads, it really sucks.

One time I had to do a "panic stop" from 65mph. It stopped fine, but it was really spooky with the 6000lb trailer behind me.

One time I had to do a "panic stop" from 65mph. It stopped fine, but it was really spooky with the 6000lb trailer behind me.

Karl,
Could it be any worse than our Nissan Frontier pu hauling Ruby over the 410 pass could it?
Kat

V8. Plus using a Grand for towing, they put the weenie hitch on the I-6 models.

The V8 with the factory tow package comes with the wiring for a trailer brake controller too. :awesomework:

I've become a bigtime towing snob. But for good reason. I've helped opeple out of the drivers window of a jack-knifed midsized suv with an 18' camp trailer behind it. If your towing more than 2k, get a fullsized rig. brakes, wheelbase and length are all GOOD things while towing.