• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Solid axle a 2500hd?

nhl_bullitt

Southern IL/MO
Anybody start with a kit that would speed up the process? Halfway considering solid axle swapping a 6.0 2001 2500hd. It would be leafsprings btw, not linking.

I currently have a HP 8 lug 44 sitting at the shop, any chance the ball joints would hold up to road use?

nhl_bullitt said:
Anybody start with a kit that would speed up the process? Halfway considering solid axle swapping a 6.0 2001 2500hd. It would be leafsprings btw, not linking.

I currently have a HP 8 lug 44 sitting at the shop, any chance the ball joints would hold up to road use?

um... pretty sure that 8 lug 44s came in 3/4t trucks for a good 20 years or so...

Granted, I'd probably sell the 44 do a super duty 60 if I were so inclined to sas a 3/4t truck.

I'd say that the IFS is pretty well superior to a leaf sprung D44 in any and every way...

nhl_bullitt said:

DO IT! Not exactly what you are looking for, but here is a buddies 2001 1500 with a modified (they only make these kits for 2500-3500's) CAGE Off-road Radius Arm kit with a Ford 50 front, 4.88 gears, ORI's in the front, Deaver leafs in the back, and 35's.
Currently he is swapping in Ford 60 front, and stepping up to 37's. Main use is dual purpose driver and wheeler.

*Edit: Photobucket is acting up so can't post any pictures right now. Will get some up if you want them even though its the radius arm setup.

TBItoy said:
um... pretty sure that 8 lug 44s came in 3/4t trucks for a good 20 years or so...

Granted, I'd probably sell the 44 do a super duty 60 if I were so inclined to sas a 3/4t truck.

I'd say that the IFS is pretty well superior to a leaf sprung D44 in any and every way...

Yea, I'm aware that they did come in trucks a long time, but was still curious. Not a ton around currently that see 10k miles in a year, and for all I know they were a maintenance nightmare 35 years ago.

As for superior... eh for a driver/tow rig I will obviously not be pushing the limits of factory IFS. They just bug me. It's a personal problem. If buggies weren't my hobby and took up so much time, I would probably immediately solid axle swap this, but I'm less motivated to turn my drivers into projects as well.

nhl_bullitt said:
Yea, I'm aware that they did come in trucks a long time, but was still curious. Not a ton around currently that see 10k miles in a year, and for all I know they were a maintenance nightmare 35 years ago.

As for superior... eh for a driver/tow rig I will obviously not be pushing the limits of factory IFS. They just bug me. It's a personal problem. If buggies weren't my hobby and took up so much time, I would probably immediately solid axle swap this, but I'm less motivated to turn my drivers into projects as well.

If you are just itching to do something to it to make it better put cognito steering arm braces on it and rock out. Makes the steering not sloppy

TBItoy said:
If you are just itching to do something to it to make it better put cognito steering arm braces on it and rock out. Makes the steering not sloppy

Gotchya. I've been driving Super Duties the last 5 years so I'm not in tune with those upgrades. Thanks.

i have done several solid axle swaps on the ifs trucks, its a great way to beef it up, make them drive great and LESS maintenance , we did an 02 on my sons truck when he was 17, , dana 60 and 35 inch tires, 4 link front, he still has it and,5 years later, and many ,many miles, i might be getting ready to do my dmax ,

nhl_bullitt said:
Gotchya. I've been driving Super Duties the last 5 years so I'm not in tune with those upgrades. Thanks.

I think If I were to do it, I'd use Super Duty axles, probably just mimic the 05+ SD suspension.

TBItoy said:
I think If I were to do it, I'd use Super Duty axles, probably just mimic the 05+ SD suspension.

That is how the CAGE Off-road Radius Arm kit is setup. My buddy had to do several modifications to brackets etc due to his being a 1500, not a 2500. He's been very pleased with it overall though.

Hey guys. I've been lurking on this site for a few years but this is my first reply ever on any site. Just wanted to add my .02 on my sas experience. I have an 03 dmax 2500. I bought a kit from offroad DIRECT. NOT DESIGN. It was a lot cheaper but the shocks were junk. Started with a 44. Ball joints wouldnt take the weight but a 6.0 is a lot lighter. I found a Ford hp kingpin 60 and have been happy with it since. good luck on your swap.

bbone said:

The Chevy Section of Pirate has several Solid Axle Swaps on there, but I second that this build ^ is one of the cleanest all around. I like how relativity low his sits to be on 40's.

The builder was going to offer a full, laser cut kit for the SAS, but then decided to just release his CAD Drawings due to Liability issues for the business.

Link to DXF CAD Files:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/2472385-free-solid-axle-swap-dxfs.html#post39964433

I have made straight axle conversion kits for 2 different s10 blazers and was was not hard or time consuming. I used a receiver hitch with spring hangers welded on the outer edges. The rear hangers could have been easier by cutting a hole and putting a piece of pipe with leaf spring bushings than my setup but worked well. My old blazers road better with the sas coversions than stock and I think a full size would do just as well with the correct leaf setup. I didn't run sway bars so it had cosiderable body roll but they could have been adapted fairly easy. My 1st conversion took 2-3 weeks, the 2nd was a week or less but I had my axle prepped, brackets premade, and a good idea of where things should fit.

I have a 99 3500 6.2 Crew Cab sitting in my field right now with a 44 HP/60 under it leaf sprung. I bought it for the axles for a good deal from a wrecker guy that picked it up as an abandoned vehicle. It has no title, I did do a VIN search and wasn't showing stolen. It appears there were starting issues because the column is all torn open with wires hanging out, but key is in ignition. I would be willing to sell everything but axles for $300. It's located in Ga about 40 miles South of Atlanta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done a few Dmax swaps you will need to send ur gear box off the red head and tell them 18 to 1 without the stops it will give u almost the full turning radius the Dmax gear box will only turn a solid axle front 1.25 turn to turn and with the conversion box u get 2.75 turn to turn and its faster and u want need a hydraulic assist .. Type in 2006 2500hd duramax solid axle swap and theirs some of my pictures