• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Some battery info

This is a great thread :awesomework: I have a couple of questions. The jeep I am building now also has the PPW system on it. I also have 2 brand new yellow tops already mounted. Is there anything I can do to protect the batts from being over charged by the high output alt (160 amp) I also have a float charger hard wired into the jeep for when its parked between trips. Is this good or bad ?

The amperage rating of the alternator won't cause a problem and after speaking with Juan again today - that guy LOVES to share information, the voltage output on the high charge setting shouldn't bother it either. It's the combination of high charge/high weld setting that spikes the volatage up to 16-18 volts. Short bursts shouldn't hurt the optima, but their website says that the high voltage is OK as long as the battery doesn't exceed 125 degrees (and how do we know what the temp of the battery is???).

Juan said that he was at the PNW Jamboree this year and was introducing his winch management and batttery management systems.

it never actually states that a an optima is a gell cell.

its a regualr lead acid battery with "cloth" that holds the liquid.

anyway, I have heard lots of people having problems with optimas.. I for one, am not one of them.. I abuse the hell out of my optima.

(also helps that all you ahve to do is turn my engine 1 crank and it starts.)

The issue with AGM batteries, like the Optima, is that they want different charge voltages than gels or flooded batteries. I don't have any specific experience with the PPW alternators, but Dale mentioned 16v+ charge voltages, and most of the sealed batteries won't tolerate that high a voltage for long. For short duration, or while using a high draw device like the welder or winch, it wouldn't be a problem, but long term it will fry the battery. The best option is an adjustable external regulator for the alternator so you can set the voltages, but I'm not sure the PPW can use an external regulator.
A plug in charger for use when the rig is sitting is a good option, but it's dependent on the charger to a point. Chargers that do "three stage" charging and especially those with different settings for gel and AGM batteries work best, but anything to keep the battery topped off will help.
Someone else mentioned using an isolator for multiple batteries, which most times is a bad idea because they have pretty substantial voltage drop between the alternator and battery, but if the voltage on the PPW is 16v it may be a great option to bring the voltage back down to a reasonable range.

The issue with AGM batteries, like the Optima, is that they want different charge voltages than gels or flooded batteries. I don't have any specific experience with the PPW alternators, but Dale mentioned 16v+ charge voltages, and most of the sealed batteries won't tolerate that high a voltage for long. For short duration, or while using a high draw device like the welder or winch, it wouldn't be a problem, but long term it will fry the battery. The best option is an adjustable external regulator for the alternator so you can set the voltages, but I'm not sure the PPW can use an external regulator.
A plug in charger for use when the rig is sitting is a good option, but it's dependent on the charger to a point. Chargers that do "three stage" charging and especially those with different settings for gel and AGM batteries work best, but anything to keep the battery topped off will help.
Someone else mentioned using an isolator for multiple batteries, which most times is a bad idea because they have pretty substantial voltage drop between the alternator and battery, but if the voltage on the PPW is 16v it may be a great option to bring the voltage back down to a reasonable range.

The PPW system uses an external regulator that mounted on the box, but it's not adjustable.

The PPW system uses an external regulator that mounted on the box, but it's not adjustable.
It's tough to tell exactly what they use, there is not a lot of technical information on their site. There might be a way of using a separate regulator for battery charging and the included unit for the welder, but without seeing it it's just guessing.
Also, the Odyssey batteries are another AGM battery and they are susceptible to the same overcharging issues as the Optima. If your system charge voltage is in the 16v range the batteries won't last long.

Gibby, what you want for your third battery is not an isolator, but a relay. I'm a DC electrician by trade and know what I'm talking about, unlike a lot of the folks giving advice on the interweb. PM or email me so I can get an idea of your whole system and I can get you a specific part number for the relay.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with Optima batteries, and they are NOT a gel cell battery. There may have been a bad batch put out there, but anyone with the right equipment could test the battery in less than a minute and find out. Almost every battery issue come from a problem in the electrical system, not a problem with the battery.

Listen to this man. :awesomework: it's about the system not one single part.