• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Some Ford tech talk for my buggy

nhl_bullitt

Southern IL/MO
Hey guys, I'm always looking to move on to the next project of my rig (for better or worse) ::) The future motor and Tcase are always on my mind (as is a budget). I came across this local 1993 F150 for only $1,000. Has a 351, auto trans, manual shift tcase which I'm guessing is the borg warner 1356, 150k on the truck. The owner doesn't know a whole lot about it, and I have never owned one of these trucks. Any thoughts? Think that is most likely the tcase it comes with?
I'm open for suggestions (driver's side drop for reference), but that is a good price and I like the idea of getting an entire truck to start with. BTW, I'm not a Ford or Chevy guy, as you guys seem to battle it out quite a bit, haha.
01010_itBoeaT7aZ9_600x450.jpg

Re:

I started with an 87 motor with the fuel injection and I count get it to run rite the computer on those don't give live data and it's obd1 which sucked so I ditched that and went propane and love it the 351 is a good motor wish I had one I just got a small 302 wore smooth out if it has an aod trans ull need the computer to work that which sucks again I had a c6 already which is a dam good trans don't know alot about tcase I would assume it's chain drive I bought the adapter for a dana 300 cut 3/4" off my tail shaft on my trans and put that on tough and u can have twin sticks if u want that then I home built a terd of a buggy ain't much but I have fun in it just my experience

Yea, they were obd1 until around the 96 model years. I was thinking about that as well. Kind of sucks. Yes, if this is the 1356 tcase, it is chain driven and generally a pretty stout set up. I'm not a maniac on the trails.

Does it have an OD trans? (E4OD)...... Basically the Ford equivalent to the Chevy 4L80E (but the E4OD has a little lower 1st gear).

I have an 89 351W sitting in my buggy chassis right now. I've got a carb intake, HEI distributor, and a propane kit that I'm going to run on it.

Ford EFI is stupid, aftermarket efi intake manifolds are CRAZY expensive and HUGE

The heads on those 351W are pretty sucky also.

The 1356 is a decent case, it's also HUGE though. A 205 will bolt on.

What is so wrong with the efi? Like If I'm keeping the motor stock, is there something specific that will still make me want to burn my buggy to the ground?
Sucks the 1356 is so huge...hmmm. Nice to know a 205 will bolt right up. Thanks. Although it defeats a little bit of what I'd like to accomplish by purchasing a complete truck.

The truck doesn't have much to offer other then motor , and possible tranny but it prolly has an eod witch isn't deisrable over the c6, the rear axle and front ifs arnt much for a buggy either ... Id say keep your money and just pick up a sbf and c6/205 elsewhere

Rockwells607 said:
The truck doesn't have much to offer other then motor , and possible tranny but it prolly has an eod witch isn't deisrable over the c6, the rear axle and front ifs arnt much for a buggy either ... Id say keep your money and just pick up a sbf and c6/205 elsewhere
I have a running 1 ton buggy, so I don't need everything from it but yea, the axles wouldn't help get any money back out of it either. You make a great point but it would be nice to have almost everything I need right in front of me in terms of starter, flexplate, waterpump, alt and so on. I am liking the idea of the c6/205 though.
Slightly off topic but about the only other options with a price tag like this is a mid 90s tbi 350 truck. They have the 241 tcases with the drop I need. Not too much power though.... And the 90's Dodges, also with the 241 case and decent powered v8's.

Re: Re: Some Ford tech talk for my buggy

Rockwells607 said:
I'd say the e4od is equally desirable to a c6.

That said, I would probably go LS style truck motor and a Chevy trans if I was buying parts.

Only reason I'm using ford stuff is that it was in a bronco that I flipped.

If you need a driver drop case behind the c6/e4od, you could buy a ford and round patter Chevy 205, swap the 31 spline input from ford to Chevy, and swap the 32 spline front output into the Chevy case for an upgrade...

If you are Ok with the huge intake manifold, stupid throttlebody/air intake dual tube setup, and are planning on leaving the motor pretty much completely stock, then the stock ford efi is Ok.

The harnesses are easy to cut down, and eliminate emissions crap.

Re:

I couldn't get mine with efi to line put and Rev up like I wanted I had my buddy a certified mechanic with some 10k computer trying to help me out and it just wasn't working like I like so I went with basically the same as TB did with the hei dizzy and propane and a 4 barrel intake and I beat mine as needed. I would like to ride with they guy that has the home brew motors you speak of I like getting crazy expecially in some one else's rig

Re: Re: Some Ford tech talk for my buggy

nhl_bullitt said:
Well thanks for the input guys. These reasons are exactly why I posted this.
So the 205 is considerably smaller than the 1356?
Yeah the 205 is like 6-7" shorter and 3-4" narrower.

And its about 50lb heavier.

There are pics in my buggy thread.

I have a 3 speed stak now, its actually a bit smaller than the 1356... And a LOT heavier!

So to piggy back on this thread, I have a ranger with a 5.0 in it, motor quit in harlan, I have a 351w that I panned to swap in, however like most the stock f/i is almost impossible to tune, and aftermarket is to expensive. I also just acquired a 5.3, Ive been against cross breeding my rangers heart lol but the 5.3 seems like it may be a better solution to my tuning options.. Also I currently have a 203/1356 doubler, Is the 203 input the only thing I would need to change to put my doubler behind a th350?

Re:

That's not nice. Crossbreeding? I don't really want to do just have a few buddies trying to convince me. What's your advice on running a hopped up 351 with fuel injection? Ive read on moates quarter horse and a few other custom tuning programs but they seem very complicated. Or do I just run the 351 with the stock tune and see how it does. For now the 351 will have a cam and maybe a set of heads.