• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spacers vs. Widening Kit

Pretty sure he's talking about the fror kit that lets you use rotors and calipers off a late model runner. I think they are 12" rotors so yea there is an advantage to it.

So FROR's widening kit is good because it allows for the IFS rotors/hubs to be used because they are larger?!

The other tacoma rotor kit isn't so good because you have to mill the O.D. and you're using a smaller rotor.

And spacers....well they're just spacers.... :redneck:

So FROR's widening kit is good because it allows for the IFS rotors/hubs to be used because they are larger?!

The other tacoma rotor kit isn't so good because you have to mill the O.D. and you're using a smaller rotor.

ok now its starting to make a lil more sense.
but im cheap,and brakes are overrated. pack an anchor with the recovery gear.:redneck:

If that is the fror kit I'm thinking of it is made specificaly for the large brakes.

The taco and older ifs rotors are about 1/2" smaller od than solid axle. The advantage to using taco rotors is they slip over the flange so all you need to remove the caliper to take the rotor off then you have accessto the spindle bolts. The taco setup also widensthe wms about 3/8" due to the thickness of the rotor hat.

Then whats the reason to change to something more complex and expensive?

Is there an advantage?

It's safer for my family and everyone else out there.

I've used spacers for 8years on my 81 because it's a TRAIL only rig. My 4runner will be more of an expo rig that will see the street to the trails. Piece of mind is worth the extra $$'s with my family riding in my rig. I dont want to second guess my wheels falling off at 65 mph because of a cracked spacer after we did the trails and dropped down from a big ledge earlier in the day. Yes, I have a trailer....No I dont want to ALWAYS trailer my rig.

brakes

You could also go this route..

Linky

It adds bigger/better brakes to your truck as well as gives you a little more than 3 inches wider stance.

With both kits you need to aquire IFS wheel hubs but you have the added benefit of better brakes with the FROR kit. I've ordered from both companies and both were easy to deal with and have quality products.

tacoma-003.jpg

P.S. Another added plus to the FROR kit is the ease of taking your knuckle apart without touching any of your bearings.. See below..

tacoma-007.jpg

After reading about the FROR kit, would you be able to use the Tundra rotors and calipers as an additional upgrade like the 3rd gen 4runner guys do?

Writeup here: http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=595244&pageID=1