• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spartan in a 60

green yj

Anybody running a spartan locker in a dana 60? I have a detroit in the rear but I would like to try a 35 spline Spartan in the front. Do the pins last? Do the couplers wear fast? Any first hand experience would be helpful.
~Paul

Can't answer that for you from experience, but I did move your inquiry to the appropriate area...:awesomework:

I did a spartan locker for someone in a D30 IIRC.

The pins are definately larger than that of an aussie or the other lunchbox lockers.

The problem I have is with the pins. They have a machined groove in them to aid with installation. IMHO that is worthless. It makes it nice to install the pins and springs, but it weakens the pins themselves.

Save your coin and go full detroit/grizzly locker. Bigger, stronger, better.

Welded front ends bring the suck. I'm looking for some input. I have had a lockright in my old HP 44 and it didnt seem to last long. I was thinking that the size of the carrier would allow it to run bigger coupler and pins making it more reliable. Has anybody compared the two side by side, 44 vs 60.

The guys on pirate seem to think the dana 60 lock right is a lot stronger then the smaller axles. A lot of them actually consider it a viable option when compared to detroits. The spartan locker appears to be stronger then a lock right from what I've seen.

That being said the lunch box style lockers are a wear item. The teeth slide buy each other when there is no power being applied to the locker. So over time they will get smoother and shorter and the locker will stop functioning. I have never had a detroit apart to say how the two compare internally though so a detroit may wear the same way.

I am going to run a lock right in my 60 front that I'm currently building but I got it for near free.:redneck:

To the OP, the only time I would even consider putting a lunch box style locker in a 60 is if you dont wheel very often and you just want some added traction for when you do and your rig is not putting down more then a just enough HP and your tires are not very big. Yes some guys have used these style lockers including myself but you will need to make the call on your own as to what you really need. Personally I am tired to installing inferior parts "just to get by" on my rig and I am tired to thinking "what will break next" everytime I am out on the trail.

PM me for a really good price on a Detriot, you wont be unhappy later.

Yeah personally I think that the lunchbox lockers are not that great. I find my self reading soo many testimonials of guys on Pirate running them and think to myself, what am I missing?. I have had a lockright, ARB, OX, and Detroits and I have only been truly happy with one. Looks like the heep will sit for a while until I can find a smoking deal on a Detroit.

I do have a spartian in a front 60. its been in there 3 years, lots of trips to the dunes, trail ran, I had the cover off a few weeks ago and saw no wear. I have a full bodied 83 1ton chevy 4.56 gears sm465,208(? not a 205)with a 6.2 diesel,44/18 boggers. now that being said I did just break a rt stub shaft at TSF trying to go up water fall, when I pull it apart I will check the locker cuse I also smashed the axle cover.

Last edited:
I did pull the cover and the locker looks great. I didnt see any wear on the locker teath. the axle has had water in it so there is rust in there but the locker has none on it.

Latest posts