• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spartan locker help

Big86inthestixx

Got a spartan locker on my dana 60F. Been there for 2 years, this winter I blowed both my front axle shafts. But new 35spl outers in, now the locker randomly won't disengage, the when it does disengage it sounds like it's going to explode!
Pulled cover and spartan 2 times now. Flipped it, spun it..etc. quadruple checked the clearance between side gears. I'm about 1 day from putting spiders in and welding it!.
Anyone else have this issue?
I'm confused because it was perfectly fine till I put new shafts in. ???
Thanks for the help.
(Sorry if this has been asked B4, I searched, didn't see anything pop up)

sended frum dis stoopid fone

I snapped a hub and after replacing it the pos spartan I have wouldn't lock on that side. Other side worked fine but passenger side would not lock. Tried spinning it in the carrier and that didn't help. I welded it up and it works fine now just doesn't ratchet any more. Mine had 2 rides on it. Guess they are cheap for a reason.

Re: Re: Spartan locker help

D44 related....but I went through many chromo shafts and joints and thats how my spartan acted after 2 years. I wheeled it another year like that and it never got better or worse.

Itd scare a few folks on some slow turning on the gas situations. ;D

I intended jus to keep wheelin it till all broke but it never did.

My Spartan is so loud when it disengages sometimes it sounds like a shaft snapped, but it still engages and dis-engages, so I keep on letting it pop until it poops out.

I also have one like this don't know the brand. not a spartin think it was a lock rite. once they slip the first time their done. I too took it apart inspected it no signs of wear put it back in still the same. I bit the bullet and ordered a ARB when they had the free compressor deal , best up grade ever !! and added the on board air kit for another 35$. been a year still working great. would upgrade to braided air line. I have rubbed thru the plastic line twice.

Re: Re: Re: Spartan locker help

mdo817 said:
My Spartan is so loud when it disengages sometimes it sounds like a shaft snapped, but it still engages and dis-engages, so I keep on letting it pop until it poops out.

Think that's what mine is doing. .
Drive it till it pops I guess eh.

sended frum dis stoopid fone

ive got a Detroit that's locking in when it wants, sometimes on driver sometimes on passenger side. When it don't lock in it sounds like its slipping. Havent pulled it out yet but anyone have any suggestions?

I welded it up and it works fine now just doesn't ratchet any more. Mine had 2 rides on it. Guess they are cheap for a reason.
[/quote] This is what i was thinking, lot better than welding spiders!!